3: When It All Begins

"He's late," Mallory whispered as she paced back and forth along the bright living room, the pearly water surface of the swimming pool outside reflected the golden sunshine and filled the place with white, shimmering light

"Don't worry, Mal," Jenny said, watching her as she was perching on the sofa to her right, "I'm sure they're just finishing some stuff, they'll be here soon."

"I don't know why did I agree to do that in the first place," Mallory said out of frustration, "now only God knows what kind of a bodyguard he'll get me," she added, biting on her fingernail.

"well, if you ask me," Jenny started, "I think Barney's taste is terrible, do you see what he's wearing? Girl, he's in a dire need of some fashion advice," she continued with a cringe.

"that's not the point," Mallory replied, turning toward her friend with a sharp twist, "what if I couldn't do that, Jenny? What if it was too much for me?" she asked with a slightly trembling voice.

"what if I couldn't live with that guy?" she went on, sitting beside her friend and running her hand in her hair.

"let's just hope he'll choose a decent looking fella so you can... you know!" Jenny answered with a wink, sticking her tongue out and biting it between her teeth.

"Good God, Jenny!" Mallory grunted, playfully hitting the other woman on the shoulder, "why's everyone assuming that I'll jump his bones?"

"Because I know how you get all weak and soft when it comes to hot guys," Jenny reasoned between giggles, "remember Mark... oh frick!" she exclaimed as her cellphone blared out in her pocket. fishing it out, her eyes widened as she looked at the name shown on the screen.

"Shit! I have to go," she said hastily as she jumped off her seat, picked her purse and jogged toward the door.

"What? Why?!" Mallory inquired, following her friend's pace with a confused frown on her face, "You won't stay with me to see what kind of a disaster I'll face?"

"I'm sorry, babe," Jenny apologized, "but I have to go see this guy who promised that he'll find me a job at his magazine, the one I told you about last week, remember? don't forget to tell me everything, okay? I'll see you later," she uttered out in one breath, ending it with a blown kiss as she ran outside the room, leaving the dumbfounded Mallory standing in the middle of the room with her hands up in the air.

*****************************

Occupying herself by playing a melody on the guitar, Mallory sat cross-legged on a long chair by the side of the round swimming pool, the fresh air and the warm afternoon sunshine, along with the soft rippling sounds of the water helped easing her mind and made her almost overlook the current situation she was in.

For the last few days Mallory couldn't stop thinking about the new bodyguard, she couldn't bring herself to absorb the idea of a strange man being with her the whole time. Yes, he wouldn't be a stranger for a long time when she would get to know him better, but the idea of it, even if it was for her own good, brought a sense of anxiety inside of her.

What made things worse was the fact that Barney was very secretive about the whole search process, he didn't give her much details, just some bits and pieces that didn't satisfy her growing curiosity. At some point, she just wanted to swing her fist on the old man's face, but she couldn't bring herself to do so.

Jenny, on the other hand, kept wondering about how would that bodyguard look like.

"Given Barney's hideous taste, I'd say he'll choose someone his age, too bulky, bald, with a thick mustache that reaches his chin," she contemplated loudly, tapping a finger on her chin.

"Barney's professional, Jenny," Mallory defended, "he won't go out there picking a bodyguard just by the looks."

"I know, I know," Jenny replied, "but let's face it, looks are important too," she continued, "what if he chose someone relatively young, maybe like a few years older than you, tall, fit, with hazel eyes and salt and pepper hair? Yum!" she bit her lip.

"I highly doubt it, my friend," Mallory said between giggles.

Thinking about it, the idea wasn't unappealing to her, a good looking bodyguard wouldn't hurt, in fact, that would make paparazzi go crazy to get a picture of them together, and with the addition of some catchy headlines it would be the best free advertisement she would get, that's how the media worked these days.

"Mal!" Barney's voice snapped her out of her reverie, her heart leapt in her throat as she set the guitar aside and perked up, the anticipation washing over her like a waterfall.

"You're here," Barney said in his warm tone as he walked out to her, "are you ready?"

Nodding like an excited child, Mallory indicated her approval as the eagerness of finally seeing the mysterious bodyguard would finally come to an end knotted her tongue.

"Sir, please come in," Barney introduced as he turned toward the entrance.

Following her manager's gaze, a slight gasp involuntary escaped her mouth as she stood up, slowly taking in the sight in front of her.

Walking outside the living room through the glass doors, a man, clad in a suit, stepped toward them with heavy, confident steps, finally coming to a halt to the left of Barney.

"Mallory," Barney started, "may I introduce to you Mr. Taron Egerton, your bodyguard."

***************************

[Y/N]: A short-ish chapter this time, will make it up for you in the next one, promise.

Please don't forget to vote and comment, I'd love to know what you think about it.

Thank you for reading :)