Chapter 19

A door knob flies into the wall of Tucker's bedroom with a loud bang and if it had been pushed with any more force, there would have been a dent. Tucker jumps up in bed, his eyes almost spastic as he looks over at his door to find the source of the commotion. His step-brother speeds into his room with his usual wide grin.

"The hell?" Tucker breathes, clutching his chest as if he would lose consciousness any second.

"Why the hell are you in bed at seven-thirty, Tucker?" Chance asks. "Come on, get up."

"Why?"

"We're going to Luna's Den."

Tucker frowns and sits up in his bed. "It's Wednesday," he says, matter-of-factly.

"No shit," Chance replies. "Your point?"

"You know Dizzy's performing tonight in that band," Tucker says, forgetting to call him Milo. "And you know he doesn't want us there."

"Relax," Chance sighs. "He asked me for a ride home."

"Okay? He asked you," Tucker says. "So why do I have to accompany you?"

"Cheer him up," Chance says. "You saw how down he looked and I still have no idea what happened. But I'm guessing you do since y'all ran away together before homeroom started."

Tucker slowly stretches his legs out and then his arms and finally climbs out of bed.

"I'm sure he wouldn't want to see me," Tucker says, grabbing a sweatshirt as the temperature cooled. "And I don't know how to cheer him up."

"We'll figure it out," Chance says and places a hand on his step-brother's back. "Diz is an easy going guy. He just needs his mind taken off of whatever was bothering him."

Tucker doesn't say anything and finds it strange that he's going out with Chance. Perhaps their relationship is changing. For the better, that is.

The two make their way to Chance's car, passing by their parents in the living room, and say a quick goodbye to them. Tucker's mother of course, melts over the fact that her son is getting along with her new husband's son and smiles warmly at them as they take their leave.

"What do you suggest we do to cheer him up?" Tucker asks as Chance drives.

"We can take him out somewhere," Chance says with a shrug.

"You obviously haven't thought very much about this," Tucker says.

"Well, no. I wasn't planning on picking the kid up tonight," Chance replies. "But now that I am, I figured I'd take him out somewhere."

"Go Karts," Tucker says as they pull into the parking lot of Luna's Den.

"Huh?"

"He loves go-karting," Tucker says. "We used to go all the time as kids."

"Cute," Chance says, his lips curving up in a smile as he unbuckles his seat belt. "That sounds good."

The two brothers exit the car and enter the dim-lit restaurant with the unique romantic aura. A short waitress with long eyelashes brings them to a table in the back of the restaurant, as specially requested by Chance. Dizzy's raspy voice fills the building and Tucker relaxes to it as he takes his seat across from Chance. He ducks his head in an attempt to shield himself from Dizzy's view. He doesn't want him to be angered that they showed up before the band stopped playing. Though, before taking a seat, Tucker steals a glance at Dizzy who's hair is again slicked back with product and his dark skin radiates in the soft light that illuminates the band. He's wearing the same pair of dress clothes that Tucker had seen him wear previously and figures he most likely doesn't have sufficient cash to purchase others.

"Shit," Chance curses. "We're too early. He's gonna have a fit."

"He's gonna have a fit that you brought me," Tucker says. He's into you, you know- Tucker thinks in the back of his mind but doesn't share that information with Chance. Tucker thinks Dizzy wants time to be with Chance alone, and Tucker being there ruins things.

It isn't a while however, until the band takes their leave and Dizzy heads to the back room to gather his belongings. Spotting Chance and Tucker at their table, he curses to himself and walks over.

"Fuck you two," Dizzy says behind Tucker and it makes him jump in his seat. "Really."

Chance smiles at his friend. "Sorry, we left a little early."

Dizzy breathes out a sigh. "It's alright. Can you bring me home now?"

Dizzy doesn't say anything about Tucker being there and he finds it strange. Tucker dismisses the thought though, and figures he's preoccupied with other things.

The three boys with the complex relationships to one another leave the restaurant and climb into Chance's car.

"What do you think about go-karting?" Chance asks Dizzy who sits in the backseat.

"It's fun," Dizzy says. "Tucker and I used to go all the time as kids."

It surprises Tucker when Dizzy tells this to Chance as he did about an hour ago.

"I know, he told me," Chance says. "It was his idea that we all go racing now."

"Now?" Dizzy asks. "But I'm-"

Though he's interrupted by the sound of Tucker's phone ringing.

"Who is it?" Chance asks, turning his head.

Tucker glances down at his phone and turns it over, neglecting to answer the call.

"Alfie," Tucker says. "I'll call him back later."

Dizzy stays quiet, racking his brain for any reason that Alfie would be calling his childhood friend. And he can't create one.

"W-why?" Dizzy asks and his voice cracks. He clears his throat and tries again. "Why's he calling you?"

Tucker sighs. "About movie times on Friday."

"He asked you out?" Dizzy asks, raising one eyebrow.

"No, don't get the wrong idea," Tucker says, bringing a hand to the back of his neck. "It's not a date."

Chance starts laughing and Tucker looks over at him, dumbfounded.

"What's so funny?" Tucker asks and is shocked by Chance's reply.

"It's a fuckin' date, Tucker."

---
Hi, thank you for reading! (: