Chapter 43

Sometimes, you just don't feel like going to work. Or maybe most of the time. But for Tucker, it's all the time.

Every weekend, he's tasked with unloading endless boxes from a supply truck until the early morning. Only, he's a fragile boy and the work is strenuous. And that's why he dreads going week after week.

He's undoubtedly gotten stronger though, and lifts some packages with ease now. Even so, repeatedly going back and forth from the truck to the back room is exhausting. And now that Valentine's Day is around the corner, the shelves need to be constantly restocked. Which means the employees must do as much as they can behind the scenes to make this happen.

Dizzy and Tucker are no exception.

They arrive at work for the same shift as they normally do and wait for their boss to instruct them on what to do despite the task being the same each time they come around. This time, however, they receive help from a few more coworkers who've been scheduled for the same hours. This way, they'll be more productive and the store will be soon ready for the much-anticipated holiday.

Dizzy retrieves his uniform from the employee closet and meets Tucker and the others out back by the large maroon truck that's waiting to be unloaded. Fil, their boss, motions for the boys to head over and begin their work.

Dizzy stacks two boxes in his arms and Tucker does the same before they walk over to the back room of the store.

Dizzy shifts his boxes to get a better look at Tucker before he asks, "How've you been?"

"Tired," Tucker replies. "I haven't been getting much sleep."

"Is Chance too rowdy at night?" Dizzy asks as he opens the door to the storage room.

"I feel like he's not around as much actually," Tucker replies, placing his boxes on the ground. Dizzy does the same and dusts off his pants with his hands.

"Really? Where's he been?" Dizzy asks. "He hasn't met up with us after school, either."

"Off," Tucker replies as the two head back with their coworkers to the supply truck. "Probably with Zerick."

"Zerick?" Dizzy questions and Tucker silently nods. "Interesting."

Hours pass by and the boys grow increasingly fatigued. Fil enters the storage room and tells them they can take a break to which they gratefully accept.

The boys collapse on the ground and lean their backs against the towers of boxes behind them. None of them have the energy to speak to each other so they don't. Tucker rests his eyes and Dizzy pulls out a cigarette. The break ends quickly though, and the boys have one more hour left until their shift ends.

When it finally becomes time for them to clock out, Tucker offers to bring Dizzy back to his apartment and he gratefully accepts.

He pulls out his cellphone once inside Tucker's car and calls Chance.

"Hey," Chance answers the phone almost immediately. "What's up?"

"Hey," Dizzy replies. "Just checking in."

"Yeah, I've been busy," Chance replies. "What've you been up to?"

"Just been working," Dizzy replies as he turns to Tucker and grins. "Uh, how's Zerick?"

Nervous laughter sounds.

"W-what do you mean?" Chance asks.

Dizzy laughs. "Relax, man. It's alright. I'm just making sure you're not replacing your best friend."

Chance sighs on the other end of the phone. "I could never," he says. "But how'd you know about Zerick?"

"Your step-brother told me," Dizzy says. "He said you haven't been around as often."

"Oh, did he?" Chance says. "Seems like you two are closer than you let on."

Dizzy sucks in a breath and Tucker glances over.

"Haha," Dizzy forces out a laugh. "Perhaps. But hey, I gotta go. I just got home."

Tucker pulls into Dizzy's apartment complex while the phone call comes to an end. Dizzy quickly reaches down into his bag and pulls out a small box with a red ribbon fashioned around it.

"Here," Dizzy says and hands the box to Tucker who's eyes widen.

"What? Why?" Tucker asks as he stares down at the box in his hands.

"Happy Birthday, Tucker," Dizzy says and gives Tucker the warmest smile he has ever seen.

"How'd you know?" Tucker asks, still in disbelief. He never tells anyone about his birthday because he figures they won't remember anyway.

"I've never forgotten your birthday," Dizzy says. "It's the most important day of the year," he jokes.

"Yeah right," Tucker says and laughs. Dizzy laughs as well and the two share a moment of pure happiness.

"Thank you," Tucker says and begins to unwrap the ribbon. He opens the box with care and is unable to help his jaw from falling open.

"You got me tickets to see Fallback in concert?" Tucker asks, shocked at his presents.

Dizzy places a humble hand behind his neck and replies, "There's two tickets there so you can take someone with you."

Without hesitation Tucker looks over at Dizzy and says, "Go with me." He removes one of the tickets from the box and hands it to Dizzy.

"Sure," Dizzy says and grins widely at his childhood friend. Tucker reaches over and wraps his arms around Dizzy who instantly does the same.

"Thank you so much," Tucker says again. "It means a lot to me."

Dizzy rubs his back and places his head in Tucker's neck before he replies.

"You mean a lot to me."

---

Meanwhile, Chance is off having a fit at the slightest inconvenience.

Because Zerick finally chose his punishment for losing the match against Randy the other day.

"Are you serious?" Chance groans.

"Come on," Zerick says as he smirks. "It won't be so
bad."

"It's your own fault for getting involved with him like that," Chance says as he crosses his arms.

Zerick shrugs. "It's your fault that you lost the match."

Chance curses and it makes Zerick's smirk widen.

"It's just for one night," Zerick says while Chance sighs heavily.

"Pretend to be my boyfriend."

---
Hi, lemme know what you think (: