Chapter 8

Tucker follows Chance into Luna's Den and widens his eyes, adjusting them to the darkness of the place. There's little light in the restaurant to provide for the romantic aura and Tucker looks around to see if he recognizes anyone while a band plays in the background. It's quiet, the band. The drummer drums softly, a soothing keyboard sounds, and a boy with a husky voice sings into the microphone.

Tucker and Chance find a table towards the back with a single lit candle and a waitress comes by. Tucker can see the beauty in the girl and assumes Chance must as well. Her hair is a light shade of chocolate cut just to her shoulders with a few waves. Her lips are full and painted red and she flashes the boys a smile before she asks them for their orders.

"Vanilla sundae," Chance orders and smiles at the girl. He leans over and does an attempt at small talk but Tucker clears his throat and places his order.

"Chocolate milkshake," he says and the waitress scribbles it down in her notebook. She tells them she'll have their orders out soon and takes her leave.

They sit together in silence while neither one attempts to start a conversation with the other. Tucker doesn't particularly care and finds himself enjoying the music being played by the band. But Chance laughs a few times here and there and Tucker has no idea why. The waitress brings them their desserts and finally, Chance begins to talk again.

"Look up."

Tucker picks his head up from the table and looks around. He doesn't see anything and wonders what Chance meant.

"No, you idiot. At the band," Chance says. "Look at the band."

Tucker squints his eyes in an attempt to see beyond the tens of tables around the restaurant and to the band at the back. He freezes once he makes out the face of the singer with the husky, yet soothing voice.

He instantly recognizes the boy to be Dizzy, only he looks completely different. Dizzy's light brown curly hair is now slicked back with product, he's wearing a white dress shirt and black pants, and his emerald eyes are trained on both Tucker and Chance. The second Dizzy's eyes meet Tucker's, he stumbles over the lyrics and Chance doubles over in a fit of laughter.

But Tucker can't take his eyes off of the boy singing for the restaurant and Dizzy returns Tucker's stare with a glare of his own. After all, Dizzy worked hard at keeping his second part-time job a secret from everyone. The only person who knew was Chance and well, it was only by chance that he found out in the first place.

Chance wipes his eyes of the tears that fall from his endless laughter and releases a long sigh.

"Man, who knew Diz had the voice of an angel?" Chance jokes, cracking himself up again.

Tucker cannot deny that Dizzy does have talent and his voice was amazing.

"He doesn't seem all that happy to see us," Tucker says.

"No shit," Chance replies, turning his attention to Tucker. "He'd do anything to prevent anyone from finding out."

"Then why'd you take me?" Tucker asks. "You obviously knew he'd be here considering how suspicious you were acting."

"It's about time you two sort things out," Chance says. "The band normally leaves by nine o'clock so that leaves about ten minutes. Afterward, we'll talk to Diz for a bit."

"I can handle things on my own," Tucker says. "I don't need you setting up anything unnecessary for me."

The two have little time to bicker because soon enough, another figure appears at their table.

"I thought I told you not to come here on Wednesdays," Dizzy says, narrowing his eyes.

Chance grins and says, "It was the last day to use the coupons."

"Fuckin' coupons," Dizzy spits. But Tucker still cannot take his eyes off of Dizzy. His slight tan, his beautiful green eyes, the way his outfit hugs all of the right areas, and his skillfully slicked-back hair. He's the most handsome Tucker had ever seen him. However, his trance is dispelled the instant Dizzy turns to talk to him.

"And I thought you said you two weren't close," Dizzy says, referring to Tucker's relationship with Chance.

"We aren't," Tucker forces out and refuses to look at his step-brother.

"Is that so?" Chance asks. "And here I thought we were becoming such great pals, step-bro."

Tucker flashes his eyes to Chance and drops his mouth open. Nobody was supposed to know that they were step-brothers. But Chance didn't understand why and honestly did not care who knew.

Dizzy grins widely saying, "Step-bro? You guys are step-brothers?"

Tucker cannot find the capacity to talk and feels his body heat up.

"Since when? Did your mother remarry?" Dizzy asks.

Tucker finally closes his lips and refuses to answer.

"My dad decided to remarry," Chance answers for the both of them. "He married Tucker's mother."

Dizzy runs a hand through his hair and breathes out. He knows Tucker's father was a despicable man from growing up with Tucker and occasionally associating with the older man. But he doesn't pity Tucker because his father isn't far from Tucker's.

And now, Dizzy knows that the two are step-brothers.

"Don't tell anyone we're step-brothers," Tucker manages to say. "And I won't tell them that you play in a band at Luna's Den every Wednesday night."

Tucker didn't know why Dizzy was ashamed about playing in a band especially when his voice had the power to encase anyone in it. He had talent but didn't want anyone to know it. And it baffled Tucker.

Dizzy looks down and shoves his hands into the pockets of his black dress pants. "I wasn't going to."

Chance places his hands on the table and stands up, declaring he needs to take a piss. As he walks by Dizzy, he gives him a slight nudge and Dizzy takes a seat across from Tucker.

Tucker knows Chance probably doesn't need to use the restroom and almost pleads with him to stay. But he doesn't and is left alone with Dizzy.

Dizzy runs a hand through his hair for the second time and looks up at Tucker before a few words escape his mouth.

"I look fuckin' weird," Dizzy says.

"H-huh?" Tucker asks, meeting Dizzy's gaze.

"My drummer insisted I slick my hair back and wear these dress clothes," Dizzy says. "Chance probably thinks I look like a fuckin' weirdo too."

Tucker doesn't think so at all.

"No you don't," Tucker says quietly.

"What?" Dizzy asks as his eyes widen in surprise.

Tucker is too embarrassed to repeat himself and is saved the second Chance returns and slings an arm around Dizzy's shoulders from behind him and whispers something in Dizzy's ear.

"You look handsome, Diz."

But Tucker doesn't hear it. He only sees Dizzy's reaction to whatever was said. And it leaves Tucker wondering what could've possibly made Dizzy faintly blush as he did.

Chance immediately starts to laugh after taking one look at Dizzy's face and Tucker doesn't know how to feel.

Because one thing is obvious.

His childhood friend is probably interested in his step-brother.

---

Hi, thank you for reading. Let me know what you think (: