Chapter 33

Today's Tuesday. The day Ms. Reyes is leaving and a new student is joining.

Not that anyone cares for the new student, however.

Though, they probably should've.

Anyway, Mr. Jones enters the room, his dark hair slicked back and the first button on his dress shirt undone. He clears his throat before he begins to speak to his students for the first time in about a month.

"I'm back," he starts and the class stays silent. They don't welcome their teacher back and he clears his throat again due to the awkwardness. "Well, as you may or may not know, our new student will be coming today."

Mr. Jones glances down at his wrist and realizes his watch isn't strapped around it as it usual is. Instead, he's forced to squint his eyes at the clock above the exit sign in the classroom as he's also forgotten his glasses.

"He should be arriving any minute now according to the email I've received," Mr. Jones says.

"Yeah, yeah," Cole says and stretches his arms above his head as he yawns. "Who cares?"

And soon enough, a tall figure stalks into the classroom as twenty pairs of eyes fall on him.

"Ah, speak of the devil," Mr. Jones says and has the new student stop at the front of the classroom.

He looms over Mr. Jones and looks down at his classmates with an intense scowl. His hair is a dark shade of blood red and a noticeable scar marks just above his eyebrow. His muscles show under the black t-shirt that he's wearing and his gray sweatpants snug all the right places.

He hasn't received his uniform yet and sticks out like a sore thumb. It doesn't bother him, though.

Mr. Jones instructs the guy to introduce himself and Alfie stills in the seat beside Tucker. His face pales and his mouth drops open.

"That's..." Alfie starts as his voice trails off.

"Zerick," the new student says. "I'm Zerick Trainer and I just moved here from the next town over."

Chance's eyes widen at the name the boy has spoken and he glances over at Dizzy who stares at the boy the same way.

You're probably wondering about the reactions of these boys because you've most likely forgotten who Zerick is and the fact that he's even been mentioned.

But you'll remember in a second. Hopefully.

Dizzy shoots his eyes across the room at Alfie who looks over quickly and returns his eyes back to Zerick.

"He looks completely different than the time I beat him up in that alleyway a few years ago," Chance says to his friends.

"That time we fought Vast Mith?" Cole questions. "When Alfie betrayed us?"

"Yeah," Chance says. "He was a kid back then. Look at him now, Jesus."

Zerick's appearance is one that doesn't fit in with the rest of his classmates'.

"He's hot as hell now," Chance says as Cole instantly looks at him.

"What?" Cole asks, narrowing his eyes.

"What?" Chance asks and looks up at the ceiling as he pretends to have not said anything.

Dizzy laughs and Zerick makes his way to the back of the classroom. Everyone watches him with amused expressions because nobody sits in the back of the room. Except for Xapt Calibur.

And Zerick takes the one unoccupied seat beside the window at the back. Right behind Chance.

He's the only one who's dared to sit beside them.

Chance doesn't turn around to greet Zerick and the rest of Xapt Calibur make no effort to either. They don't want to start anything unnecessary and hope Zerick doesn't recognize them.

Though, after a few seconds, Chance feels a sharp pencil being pushed into his back. He quickly swings around and lowers his eyes at Zerick.

"What do you want?" Chance spits.

"You remember me, don't you?" Zerick asks as a grin spreads across his face, revealing two rows of pearly white teeth.

"No, I do not," Chance denies and spins back around to the front of the classroom. Mr. Jones continues to speak and Chance feels a rough kick to the legs of his chair. He ignores it but more follow until his chair vibrates and he whirls around again.

"Quit it," Chance hisses.

"Then let me remind you," Zerick says, still grinning. He makes a fist with his right hand and pounds it into his left.

Chance raises his eyebrow and shrugs his shoulder as if he doesn't know what Zerick is referring to and focuses back on Mr. Jones.

Finally, Mr. Jones dismisses the class and Xapt Calibur quickly rise from their seats. They go separate directions, however, because they're all in different classes for the next period.

Chance begins to make his way to his math class when his shoulder is tugged from behind. It stops him in his tracks.

"Chance Dillan," a voice says into his ear and chills run down his spine. "Where is room 127?"

Chance shakes Zerick off of his shoulder and curses to himself. He has to go to room 127 for his next class, too.

"I'll show you if you leave me the fuck alone," Chance sighs.

Zerick laughs and follows Chance to their class as all of the boys in the hall stop to stare at the new student.

It's the first time their eyes are on someone else rather than Chance.

Anyway, when the two boys make their way to math class, Zerick chooses the seat next to Chance who rolls his eyes.

"You're not going to leave me alone?" Chance asks.

"That tattoo," Zerick says instead. "On your ankle. What is it?"

Chance looks down at the new tattoo on his ankle that he had gotten the day prior.

"Wings," Chance says.

"Why?" Zerick questions.

"Why do you wanna know?" Chance sighs.

"I wanna know all about the kid who was able to beat me bloody two years ago," Zerick says. "'Cuz he sure as hell can't anymore."

Chance flashes a grin of his own.

"Shall we see for ourselves?"

---
Hi, thank you for reading! Let me know what you think (: