Chapter 13

Chapter 13

“Thursday at 9:25 there will be a very important assembly in the gymnasium. All must attend. Thank you. Now, please stand for the national anthem.”

“Is that assembly the one that Mrs. Williams talked about?” Emma whispered to me.

I nodded, “I think so.”

“Emma, Mary Jane!” Mrs. Parker snapped.

We rolled our eyes.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“Oh my gosh! During the announcements Andrew passed me this note!” Sandra Jess exclaimed in her annoying, squeaky voice.

“Oh my gosh, oh my gosh,” Rachel mocked her. “I hate, HATE her!”

“Rachel,” Sarah joked, pretending to act like a mother.

“I don’t care if it’s a stupid ‘strong word’ I HATE her!”

We laughed.

“Honestly, she is irritating, annoying, obnoxious—“ Rachel was interrupted.

Laura walked up to us with the same smile.

“You said Annabel would be at school today.” I said.

“Oh,” Laura replied. “No, she still isn’t feeling well.”

“Where is she?” Sarah asked softly.

“She should be back tomorrow,” Laura avoided the question.

“Where is she, Laura?” Sarah asked again, louder and irritated.

“Sarah,” Laura acted sweet, she was really getting on my nerves, and I knew Rachel and Sarah could say the same. “She is totally fine, no worries.”

“Can we see her?”

“Oh, no,” still that sweet voice, those innocent eyes. “She doesn’t feel well at all.”

“You said she was fine.” Rachel was very, very tense, she looked like she wanted to punch her, I did too.

“Yeah, but I don’t want you to be worried. Please, she will be better soon.”

“Why, why not now! Why isn’t she better, no perfec,t like she was at cheerleading practice?!” Rachel almost screamed.

Laura looked scared, but calm. “It’s, um, time for me to go.” Laura turned around and walked away. She didn’t look back.

Rachel put her head on my shoulder, I think she was crying.