Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"No, it's this one!"

"But I thought it was brown?"

"M.J, I know, it's number 12684."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I've been here before."

"Well, I have too! Fine, but are you sure?"

"Yes."

"What if it's not?"

"What if it is?"

"Fine, you knock."

Emma knocked on the door that I hoped belonged to Laura and Annabel's house.

"Emma?" A lady with long curly hair, the same colour as Annabel's opened the door.

"Hi, Ms. Dorsen, is-"

"Oh! And, Mary Jane!" Someone that called me that again! "I haven't seen you in so long! Girls, come in, please." Laura's mother stepped to the side and let us in.

"Is Laura here?" Emma asked.

"Oh, she is fine, Annabel will be home soon, you may stay and wait for her," I recognized that fake smile. It was the same smile I saw when she told us Laura's cousin/best friend had passed away. I wasn't crazy enough to think Laura died just because I saw that same smile.

"Yeah, we know, Annabel has cheerleading practice. We would like to talk to Laura," Emma said politely.

"Laura isn't feeling well, she is in her room, probably sleeping," Ms. Dorsen turned away from us and picked up a vase, brushed it off and put it down in a different place.

"I just have a little question to ask her, it won't take long," Emma tried to walk toward the stairs to go upstairs, but Laura's mother moved, in a way that seemed like she was stopping Emma.

"Honestly girls, she is a bit ill, don't bother her now," Ms. Dorsen's tone was firm and sounded irritated.

"Please, Ma'am, It will only be a second," Emma's tone sound the same.

I was afraid of what would happen.

"No!" Ms. Dorsen yelled, and then took a deep breath as if something took over her for a second.

Emma took a step back, her eyes wide with fear.

"Ms. Dorsen," I said quietly.

"Yes, Mary Jane," her tone was clam and soft.

"We didn't see Laura at school after lunch. We were worried about her. Our teacher would like us to explain a project we received today, that Laura missed." I glanced at Emma, she was smiling, that meant I made a believable excuse.

"Oh, Mary Jane, Emma, excuse me, go ahead, Laura's room is the door at the end of the hall to the left," Ms. Dorsen bought my excuse and pointed toward the hallway.

Emma grabbed my arm, I had never seen her smile so much.