Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"That test was 'hard!' " joked Rachel.

"Hey guys!" We heard Annabel call from behind us.

"Hi, Annabel," I looked down at my watch. "Oh, I gotta go! See ya, guys!

"What class do you have now, M.J?" Annabel asked, she looked a little worried to me.

"I have Jazz Band, I play tenor," I said wanting to get to class faster.

"Oh, the saxophone?"

"Yeah, I..."

"Oh! I have to go to! See you!" Emma grabbed my arm and ran.

"Don't run! You'll slip and fall!" yelled one of the teachers from her classroom.

"Thanks Grandma," Emma mumbled under her breath.

"You know, we have two minutes, we don't need to run," I said out of breath.

"I need to get my favourite trombone!" Emma grabbed my arm and ran faster.

I was surprized one of the teachers didn't stop us and give a us a lecture about school rules and safety.

"Yes! Number 13!" Emma said reaching for the instrument.

"Isn't that an unlucky number?" said a snobby voice. Emma turned around and saw Hanna Bell standing behind her.

I grabbed Emma's shoulder before she could do anything. I grabbed my saxophone.

Emma gave Hanna a dirty look as she walked away.

The class grabbed a book. The conductor stood up. "Ok, page 41, the Pink Panther theme song."

Our band began to play, the conductor looked around, smiling. Then the phone rang.

"Hello, Miss Halloway speaking," the whole class was silent, listening to her phone call.

"Has anyone in this class seen Laura Dorsen since lunch?" Miss Halloway asked us.

No one answered.

Emma and I looked at each other.

I raised my hand.

"Yes, M.J?" Miss Halloway asked, she was the only teacher that called me M.J.

"We saw her right before fifth period, after lunch, talking to Mr. Anderson, in his room," I said.

"Some girls saw Laura in Mr. Anderson's room talking with him right after lunch. You could talk to him. Yes, thank you, bye." Miss Halloway said quietly and put down the phone.

Everyone stared at her.

"She's fine, they just think she went to the wrong class last period," Miss Halloway looked down at the floor and returned to the piece of music.

Emma and I looked at each other. We knew something had happened.