Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"Should I knock?" Emma whispered when we got to Laura's door.

"Yes. Well, I mean, if you want."

Emma lifted her arm. She knocked twice quietly. We waited a few seconds.

"You do it now," Emma whispered.

I knocked, we waited. "Uh, Laura? It's Emma and M.J. Can, um, we come in?"

We waited for about thirty seconds. I was about to knock again, but Emma bent down and picked up a piece of paper under the door.

"Wait three minutes, and then come to the attic," Emma read. "Where is the attic?" Emma turned around and took about four steps toward the living room. "Uh, Ms.-"

I interrupted her. "Do get her involved anymore." I grabbed the door knob.

Emma put her hand on my arm. "Has it been three minutes?"

I gave her a look. She let go of me. I took a deep breath and turned the door knob.

All I saw was a world of orange and green. For about five seconds I felt like I was ten again.

Emma laughed a little. "Wow, Laura, who do we talk to at school?" I totally agreed with her! Laura at school is tough and when you hear "Laura" you think dark blue and purple, not green and orange, at least, not anymore.

"Laura?" I said, stepping into her room, still amazed. I looked around, and then I realized that this was still one of the coolest rooms I've ever been in! It was like a forest! Trees painted on the walls, hard wood floor, shelves that looked like a tree trunk. There were at least three small stair cases, one lead to a loft type of thing, another to a window seat, and the highest; to a wooden door.

"The attic?" Emma said, pointing to that door.

"Yeah, I guess."

We walked toward the orange and green stair case.

I noticed that I was still looking around at everything.

"Umm, Hey, Laura?" Emma said when we got to the door.

Another note was slid under the door.

I picked it up and read, "Open it."

Emma turned the knob. I didn't know what I expected. A secret laboratory, a club house, or just a storage space.

I could tell Emma was surprised to see Laura sitting at a laptop on a bean bag chair in a small empty room.

"Ooh! Your secret hide out?" Emma smiled.

Laura laughed a little.

"We told your mom that we had a project to tell you about for school," I said looking around, again.

"Really? Oh my gosh, is it important 'cause -"

We interrupted her with laughter.

"What?"

"Laura," I said trying not to laugh, "It was an excuse. Your mom wouldn't let us come in and see you."

Laura laughed.

"You have a seriously crazy, awesome room!" Emma smiled, and looked around.

"Oh yeah. I was a present from my parents when I was seven."

"Oh yeah!" Emma exclaimed. "You were like the luckiest seven year old ever! I remember playing in here with Katie and Annabel. It was our princess castle, doll house, classroom, anything we wanted." I saw the sadness in Emma and Laura's eyes remembering their fun times as a kid.

Was I feeling left out? I didn't think so. Maybe I was, but I wasn't as close to Laura's family as Emma was, I met Laura when we were ten years old, four years ago. Emma, Laura, Sarah and I would come and hang out when Annabel and Katelyn would come by. Katelyn and Annabel didn't have a very good relationship, Laura was best friends with Katelyn but Annabel wouldn't ever try to participate in our fun. Laura was very happy when we were with Katelyn and Annabel. Laura and Katelyn had the strongest relationship we had ever seen, they were like sisters, or more. Maybe Annabel was jealous? She never wanted to hang out with us when we were little. Maybe it was like we stole her sister from her, or at least it was something to do with Laura. But, now no one can steal her sister, there's no sister to steal.