Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Emma's new dog welcomed us at the door. "Hello, Nina! You're such a good girl yes you are! Mom! I'm here!" Emma shouted and dropped her back in the front door.

"Okay, can you grab a salad bowl from the kitchen?" Her mom yelled back.

"Why do you come here after school?" I asked looking around.

"Because it's my mom's job to prepare this place when someone rents it," Emma touched the pink table cloth on the table.

"What is going on today?"

"Something like a baby shower, bridal shower, I don't know." Emma walked into the kitchen and grabbed a large bowl. "Stay here for a second."

"Oh, hi Joni!" I bent over the baby's play pen and watched her smile.

"Nina!" Emma called.

The Border Collie came running out of the kitchen and jumped up on Emma.

Emma laughed, "Go see M.J, Nina, go!"

The puppy jumped up on me. I knelt down to pet her.

"Hi, M.J," Emma mother said.

"Hello, Ms. Jorden," I said.

She laughed, "Please, M.J, call me Becca."

I smiled back at her, "Okay, sorry."

"Mom, need help?"

"Yes, yes, yes. Someone needs to watch Nina and Jodi, while I bring in supplies from the truck."

"M.J will watch Jodi and I'll help you," Emma looked at me.

I nodded.

"Okay, let's go, Emma." They went outside.

"Nina!" The puppy came running to me; I grabbed her collar so she couldn't get away.

"Hello, Jodi, look at this," I picked up a pink cube with pictures on it.

"No, Emma, I told you that you cannot skip the ceremony."

"But, Mom, I won't be able to survive there!"

"It's not for you or me, it's for supporting Robin."

"Mom, I can't."

"Talk to me later, put that box on the third shelf, and empty the green bin for me."

"Hey, M.J?"

"Um, yeah."

"Come here." I walked over to Emma.

"Can you put those boxes back on the shelf while I empty this?"

"Sure."

Emma opened the box and pulled the things out, "Oh, baby shower."

"Emma, please go to the basement cellar and get the box marked 'flowers' for me."

Emma put down the things and walked to the basement door. "It's um, creepy down there, come with me?"

Emma opened the door, and I followed her down the stairs. I was dark and the air was very thick and musty. Emma looked disgusted.

"Okay, um the cellar is over there, can you grab the box?"

"Are you coming?"

"My mom wanted me to get something over here," Emma was lying, I knew that voice.

"You're scared."

"You are too."

I gave her a look.

"Fine I'll come, but you go first."

I rolled my eyes and turned around. I opened the cellar door and looked in. It was dark, I couldn't see a thing. Emma peaked in over my shoulder.

"Do you see the box?" she asked.

"Yes, I do because of all the light shining in."

"Okay, good. Go get the box then, M.J."

"It's sarcasm, Emma. Come on." I grabbed her hand and pulled her into the darkness.

"What if there is like a severed head in here? What if there are vampires that will eat us?"

"We are in a cellar in a public building, what vampire would hide in here, and what kinds of vampires eat people?"

"The ones that live here eat people, get the box."

"Okay, do you think it's over here?" I walked away from Emma.

I walked a few steps away from her. I screamed at the top of my lungs.