twenty seven

Even though it's my last day working at the cafe it feels like it drags on at an agonisingly slow pace. As I deliver the various plates of food to customers all I can think about in my head are the various things I need to do before the car picks me up this afternoon.

Harry arranged everything for me; all I have to do after work is go home and collect my stuff. A car is going to pick me up an hour after my shift ends so as soon as I get home I have to work fast to get myself ready. It still hasn't really set in that in a matter of hours I will be in Paris.

"How ya feeling? Last day and all?" Ryan asks as I hand my last few orders over into the kitchen. He's been relatively quiet today, not eager to make conversation. I think he may be nervous to talk to me after Harry turned up at the cafe last week.

"Uh yeah, feels pretty good to be honest" I reply as I quickly head back out onto the floor with some plates in my hand to deliver. Just a little bit longer then I never have to come to this place again. I don't feel like I fit in here anymore; I never felt that I did. I guess mostly because I didn't make an effort to make friends with the staff. But ever since people saw the photo of Harry and I in the newspaper they've been acting weird around me, like they've put me up on some kind of pedestal for having a rich boyfriend. I guess it doesn't matter what the reason is, I'll be out of here soon.

"A couple of us were thinking about grabbing a drink tonight, you in?" Beth asks me in a bright friendly tone as I return to the counter. We've never really gotten along since I've been working here; she's very slack with her service so I end up taking on nearly half her tables every shift we work together.

"Uh sorry I've made plans for tonight, thanks for the invite though" I reply quickly, printing out a receipt for some customers who are ready to pay. It feels weird to say I'm going to Paris after work for some reason.

"So bring your 'plan' along with you, don't worry we will be nice to Mr Money Bags" I can hear Ryan's snarky tone reply from behind me. Of course he's all mouth now, when Harry isn't around he likes to be the big tough guy.

"No that's okay we have things planned" I turn back and reply to him, a rather fake smile plastered across my face. Behind him I can see a rather larger clock hanging on the wall. The hands are at the perfect position, I'm done. "And that's my shift!" I say giddily as I head to the staff room and begin to collect my things. I don't think I've ever left in such an excited hurry before, but I have to if I want to catch the quickest bus to get back to my apartment.

45 minutes later; a bald man in a dark suit is helping me carry my little suitcase down the stairs of my apartment building. My hair is still slightly damp from my shower but apart from that I'm fairly well organised. I have all my documents neatly packed in hand places in my bag, I've brought my nicest clothes in my suitcase and I even managed to throw some makeup onto my face before the knock at the door came.

I text Harry to let him know what's happening as the driver opens the car door for me. He's organised a town car; you know one of those sleek fancy ones that you see on TV. It's all a little much for a twenty minute drive to the train station. I offered to take a bus, but he has a less than ideal relationship with busses, I've got to take him on one at some point. My phone buzzes in my lap as the driver pulls out of the parking spot.

Harry 💖
"Enjoy, let me know when you're on the train x"

"Is the temperature alright for you madame?" The driver speaks after I hit reply on a 'will do' text to Harry.

"Yeah it's great thank you" I reply sweetly, I wonder why Harry didn't send John to come and get me. But he's probably taken John to Paris with him. What kind of a job description does John have, because he does a lot for Harry both personally and professionally. I would actually hope he would be too busy helping Harry with work to pick me up and drive me places all the time.