thirteen

The Saturday morning shift is always brutal at the cafe, Nora asked me to come in today because two of the other waitresses were out sick again. I felt bad because I handed in my resignation so of course I said yes when she asked. Normally being called into work would be a sucky way to start the weekend but I'm in a good mood today; I've handed in my last assignment for the next few weeks and Harry flies home today.

We haven't been able to talk much since our last FaceTime, the time difference has been messing us up and he's had heaps of meetings to go to. No FaceTimes, no flashing, no nothing; I'm glad he's on his way back.

"So I heard you're leaving us soon?" My co-worker Ryan says as I walk over to the kitchen to collect an order. He works in the kitchen so we get a lot of interaction throughout the day. He's been a good friend while I've been here but we don't have a lot in common so we never hang out outside of work.

"Yeah, school works been getting a little crazy so I need to focus on that" I say quickly as I pick up the two plates and leave to deliver them to the right table. I hate all this continuous lying that I have to do but it's better than telling them the truth. I just hope I'm making it believable.

"Well we will be sad to see you go!" Ryan says as I appear back at the kitchen window to deliver another order. "We should go out for a drink, celebrate your freedom!" I smile a little and nod my head.

"Yeah sure sounds great" I mumble as I walk back into the floor and fill up people's mugs with coffee. I always had a feeling that Ryan has a little crush on me, but I was definitely not interested in him, even before I met Harry. I don't intend on having a drink with him but if it's with everyone else there then surely it would be fine. Maybe I could subtly mention that I have a boyfriend and he'll back off on his own. That's a problem I get to deal with later.

I make myself busy and just ride out the last hour until my shift is over. I'm picking up my things from the back office and I'm just about to leave when I bump into someone standing behind me.

"So, when are you free for a drink?" Ryan asks, walking alongside me as we both head for the door. His long blonde hair is gathered into a bun at the back of his neck as he slings what appears to be a gym bag over his shoulder.

"Oh I um, I'm not sure I'll have to check my schedule" I mumble, pushing open the door and stepping out onto the pavement. Employees can't exit through the front, we have to take the back door and exit through the car park.

"Well are you free tonight?"

"No she isn't" I whip my head around at the familiar voice. I almost don't quite believe my eyes; Harry leans his back against the wall of the cafe wearing a black T-shirt and jeans with a pair of brown boots. It's a stark difference to when I've seen him other times, he's almost always in a suit. Yet he somehow manages to look intimidating, several swirls of ink cover his arms folded across his chest and stretch up to his bulging biceps.

"When did you get back?!" I ask him excitedly, immediately happy to be in his company again despite whether or not he's all too happy to see me. He has a pair of aviators resting on the edge of his nose so I'm unable to read his facial expression, but I don't think he's pleased. I walk over to his side and am pleased when he wraps an arm around my shoulder and ticks me into his chest.

"Early this morning, I had to get some rest but I wanted to pick you up from work" he turns his attention away from me and looks over at Ryan, who now seems shorter and more sheepish in his presence; I can relate to that.

"This is Ryan, he's one of the cooks at the cafe" I introduce Ryan to Harry hopeful that we can salvage this somewhat awkward meeting, as Harry stares at Ryan and Ryan stares anywhere else.