Beacon Academy (2/2)

It only took another half an hour before the airship landed at Beacon. We made a few other stops to pick up other students, but it was pretty much a straight shot.

I've of course seen Beacon Academy from Vale, and it looked rather large from the city below, however, I would have never been able to prepare for the sheer size of the school.

The Headmaster's tower reached high up into the sky, no doubt allowing him to keep watch over the courtyard and even part of the city below him.

Even the parts we could see now were just the entrance. It truly was a sight to behold.

But behold I would not, as everything began crumbling around me. Yang ran off with her friends, leaving Ruby's head spinning, quite literally, as she fell down on a white-haired girl's luggage.

The white-haired girl instantly began to cause a scene. I could tell just from how she was dressed that she was a spoiled rich girl.

Ruby tried to save the situation, but the white-haired girl was not taking any of it.

Girl: Do you have any idea the kind of damage you could have caused?

She then proceeded to go on a rant about dust, shaking a vial that wasn't properly sealed in Ruby's face.

Ruby eventually sneezed, causing an eruption of different elements.

Deciding that enough was enough, I went over and helped dust Ruby off, but not without making a snide comment to the white-haired girl.

Me: Ironically, you caused more damage than she did, snow white.

???: Actually, it's Weiss Schnee. Heiress to the Schnee Dust Company. One of the largest energy producers in the world.

I turned my head and saw another girl, who was holding one of Weiss's dust vials. The girl had black hair and amber-colored eyes. Her outfit consisted of a mixture of black and white.

She was a Faunus as well, I could tell just because of the difference in scent. She seemed to be a cat Faunus, though I can't tell which breed of cat she is related to. Perhaps just a domesticated house cat?

I suppose it doesn't matter. Some Faunus don't really care about what kind of animal they are related to. I happen to be a Grey Wolf, but people never really ask for specifics.

Tangent aside, Weiss seemed to be rather pleased with the sudden recognition, before the cat Faunus girl smashed her hopes and dreams right away.

Cat Faunus: The same company infamous for its questionable business partners and controversial labor forces.

I let out a sudden, yet loud laugh at what the Cat Faunus said, causing them to turn to me suddenly.

Me: I mean, you can't say she's wrong, can you, Snow White?

Weiss immediately groaned in frustration and stormed off.

I went to go talk to the Faunus girl after Weiss left, she seemed rather distant, though. I'm not quite sure why that is. Hopefully, I can get to know her a bit better. It'd be nice to finally have some other Faunus friends.

Me: Hey, thanks for the save back there, she was really giving my sister a hard time. I'm Y/n, you?

Faunus Girl: Blake. The other girl is your sister? She doesn't have a Faunus trait, though.

Me: I'm adopted. My human family has done me well enough, for the most part.

Blake: I see. Well, that's good, I suppose.

Me: Do you want to keep walking together, or would you prefer I leave you alone?

Blake: I wouldn't mind company, I guess. I'm more pleased that you even asked permission in the first place.

Me: Hey, I'm the one following you. Let me just go say bye to my sister really quick.

Blake nodded and I went back to Ruby, who was waiting by the landing pad, still trying to get a grip on what just happened.

Me: Hey, Ruby. I'm gonna keep going with Blake. We need to go to the main building just up the path, it's something about an opening speech.

Ruby: I'm glad you told me because I would've been completely lost. I'll see you later, Y/n!

Ruby went off toward the building while I went back to Blake, who was still patiently waiting.

We began walking around the school, we had plenty of time to talk before it was time to head into the school.

Me: So, I've got to ask. What's with the bow? I know that you can tell I'm aware of your true nature. So why hide it?

Blake: I'm not trying to hide from other Faunus. I'm hiding from Humans. You and I both know that even if most humans hold no prejudice toward us, the few that do are a dangerous sort.

Me: True enough. Did you come here from Signal? What school did you go to?

Blake: Directly from Menagerie, actually. I didn't go to school.

Me: Okay, so how did you learn to fight? Are you self-taught or did you have some kind of mentor?

Blake paused for a moment before answering.

Blake: I had a mentor. I don't like talking about him, though.

Me: Bad memories, huh?

Blake shivered and nodded.

Blake: Yeah, bad memories.

Me: I hear that.

Blake: What about you? Did you go to school?

Me: No, I'm self-taught. My parents didn't even know I was coming to Beacon with my sisters until this morning.

Blake: Did they disapprove of you coming?

Me: Yeah, I guess you could say that.

Blake and I entered the school and listened to the speech together. The Headmaster's speech was less than optimistic. He essentially said that we were destined for a brutal death the moment we signed up for this job.

Blake and I got separated once we were given instructions, but I found her again later in the night. She was sitting against a wall with a candle lit and a book in her hands.

I slid down next to her.

Me: Hey, what're you reading?

Blake looked up at me, a ghost of a smile present on her face.

Blake: It's about a man with two souls, each fighting for control over his body.

Me: Man, that sounds like a good one. You oughta let me borrow it when you finish it.

Blake: You like reading?

Me: Yeah, when I was young, all I had in the orphanage was books. I kinda held onto them, even now.

While Blake and I were conversing, I saw Yang and Ruby approaching.

Yang: Hel-looooo! I believe you two may know each other!

Ruby seemed rather nervous. She didn't get to keep her friends when she got to Beacon, so she was trying to make friends now.

Blake: Aren't you the girl that exploded?

Ruby: Yeah, I'm Ruby, but you can just call me Crater- You know what, you can just call me Ruby.

Me: Oh, hell, Ruby. Just talk to the girl, no need to be so extra about it. Anyway, I'll see you all tomorrow, I'm headed to bed.

I turned to Blake as she looked up at me.

Me: If I don't see you tomorrow morning, good luck in initiation.

Blake: Yeah, you too.

I smiled and walked back to my cot. Blake is a nice girl, hopefully, she passes tomorrow, I'd like to be friends with her.