twenty one

Michael

I look up at her, watching her move around over me. It's mesmerizing how graceful she is. If I took a picture of every moment, there wouldn't be one single bad image.

I squeeze my eyes shut and grip her hips, my head falling back into the pillow. Explicives spill from both of our lips and the room gets hotter. I'm seeing stars. I've never seen stars before.

She screams and gets off of me, covering herself in a sheet and looks at the doorway of her room. She looks terrified. I look too, quickly pulling my boxers on.

Her boyfriend is standing there, a single tear running down his cheek. It isn't clear, though. It's dark. Crimson.

"I see," is all he mutters before leaving, Vanessa running after him.

***

I jolt awake, sweat dripping from my forehead and the blanket standing up in a tent. "Fuck." I muttered, wiping my face with my pillow. I took a deep breath and looked around my room.

I've been having these ridiculous dreams ever since I started talking to Vanessa again. They start off great, then always end in her running away after her boyfriend. These dreams-turned-nightmares have been making it harder to be around her.

Speaking of hard.

I looked down at my aching crotch and huffed, trying to think of something less hot. But the image of Vanessa on top of me won't leave.

I groaned, getting up and went into the bathroom. My phone started ringing as I stepped over the threshold. I rubbed my face and picked it up, ignoring the caller ID. "I need to piss."

"Oh," Vanessa's shy voice came out on the other end. "I-I'm sorry. I know it's early a-"

"No, no, I'm sorry," my voice softened, rubbing my eye. "is everything okay?"

"No," she sniffed, her voice sounding broken.

"What's going on?" I leaned against the doorframe, holding my phone tight.

"I need a friend. And Jessie can't help me."

"Well, I can be a friend. Maybe," I said jokingly. She actually chuckled.

"May I come over later?"

"Of course. Whenever you want to."

"Thank you. Sorry to prevent you from pissing."

"It's fine," I laughed. "I can hold anything whenever you need me to." My smile fell and I bit my tongue.

"Just go before your bladder explodes," I could hear the smile in her voice as she hung up and I let out a sigh of relief. I have been letting everything just slip out when I talk to her and it's gotten a bit awkward.

I walked into the bathroom, attempting to find a decent angle but my slowly deflating hard-on made it difficult. I let my head fall back and groaned obnoxiously to the ceiling. Penises are not as fun as everyone makes them out to be.

***

I walked out of the bathroom after showering when the doorbell rang. I muttered under my breath, quickly looking for at least some boxers to pull on when I remembered they were all in the laundry room. Downstairs.

I huffed, going downstairs as the doorbell rang again and opened the door to Vanessa. "Hi."

"H-Hi," she gave a slight wave, her cheeks turning pink as her eyes scanned down to the towel around my waist.

"Uh, yeah, sorry," I stepped aside for her then quickly went to the laundry room, pulling out boxers and pants, jumping around to pull them on.

"I'm sorry that I came at such an early time," she called from the hallway.

"It's totally fine," I struggled to get my foot through the leg of my jeans. "you just make yourself comfortable, okay?"

"Okay," her voice trailed off and I yanked a t-shirt on, roughly drying my hair with the towel. This is a very rushed Saturday morning.

"Want something to drink?" I walked into the kitchen, seeing she was standing awkwardly in the doorway still. "You can come in, sweetheart." I smiled softly. Vanessa walked in slowly, her head hung but her eyes trying to look around.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I haven't been here in awhile."

"It's okay," I set a bottle down and opened it, sliding it towards her. "only one because I know you tend to get crazy." She smiled a little, taking a small sip off of it. "So, what's bothering you?"

"Ashton," she mumbled, looking into the neck of the bottle. "you." I winced, clutching the side of the counter.

"What'd I do?"

"I don't know," she shook her head, pushing her hair from her face. I looked at her, remembering how I first met her and how badly I wanted to date her. I was only 10, but I knew she was the kind of girl I'd want to marry.

"Would you like me to leave you alone again?" I asked, barely even an audible whisper. I made her mad the last time we talked and she told me to never speak to her again. When I was 14, I didn't know cutting jokes were actually hurtful.

"Please don't," Vanessa's voice broke and a few tears started to fall down her cheeks. "this week has sucked and I just need someone to hug."

"What about Luke?" I blurted. Her head shot up and the look on her face told me that he was part of the problem. "Are you guys okay?"

"He's mad at me because I talk to you and Ashton," her voice raised, her hands flying. "I can have other friends!"

"Well, I mean, you did date Ashton," I said carefully. "I'd be a little protective too."

"But he is so awful about it!" She took a shaky breath, trying her best to calm down. I didn't know what else to do or say because anything could turn into an argument and she didn't need that. I held my arms out for her.

"C'mere, sweetheart," she walked toward me and leaned on my chest, crying into my shirt.

"Stop being nice to me," she grumbled, wrapping her arms around my waist and holding onto me. "you make it hard to not be around you, Mr. Clifford."

"I'm sorry," I chuckled, resting my chin on top of her head. "I just can't handle seeing you cry."

"I cry all the time."

"You don't need to," I rubbed her arm, keeping her close.

"I can't help it."

"Maybe I can help?" She looked up at me, sniffing and wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. She looked so innocent, like a small child. "I mean, only if you want me to."

"If you want to," her voice was quieter than normal.

"I don't mind," and I meant it. I wanted to be the reason she didn't cry anymore.

"Okay," she rested her cheek on my chest, still holding onto me. "thank you."

"Anything."

_____________________________________

Twitter: @lukesenemies