Caroline nodded, completely understanding how he felt. "I'm glad that despite your trauma, you are thinking with a level head. I'm proud of you, Oscar. Rosemary would be too."

"I only want what's best for my daughter." Oscar frowned.

"Well, how about you spend the day with her whilst I'm out on business and whenever the date is, we'll send you on the first train out of Birmingham?"

"Somewhere in America would be nice."

"I'm not a bloody miracle worker, Oscar." She pulled her brother into her arms and chuckled lightly. "You know what? You can go wherever your heart desires. So long as you're happy, healthy and out of harm's way, just know that you are sincerely loved by all and you will return as soon as the Italian's are rid from the city."

Oscar peered through hazy eyes. "Actually, I don't think I'd want to come back."

"Why not?"

"I need to move on." His gaze lowered. "Not from Rosemary, but from the shit-hole we call Small Heath."

***

Being within the work environment of the betting den felt just right for Caroline. Presumably, Polly would be off on bereavement, seeing as how her daughter passed away less than a week ago, so there was nobody better adapted to pursue the role other than her assistant herself.

But, it came with shock for all to see the woman stride in, wearing a pantsuit. Sporting black and white, accompanied by a signature faux fur coat, Polly appeared as though she wasn't suffering a significant loss, or that the mourning made her all the more stronger to face day to day life, but her hair was what stood out the most. Unlike the many women in modern day society, she'd trimmed the ends, her strands stopping short behind her ears.

"What are you doing here?"

Caroline was no stranger to pretending to be alright when she felt trapped within her mind - the makeshift jail cell. Instead of sympathising and patronising with the woman's tendencies, a smirk rose on her lips and she leaned back on the chair, studying Polly's new costume.

"On Mondays, I do the inventory." Caroline informed. "Make sure nobody's dipping their hand in."

Polly walked further into the secluded room. "Well, it's my job now. I'm back and nobody's gonna be dipping their hand in with me here, not unless they want it cut off."

Caroline's joyous tone boomed across the betting den. "That's what I'm talking about!"

She sprung out of the chair and embraced Polly with open arms. For a moment, Polly was tense, blinded by visions of her own daughter who'd done the same just days prior, until she softened, recalling that if anybody were to tend her bruises, it would be the only person she trusted with her entire being - Caroline.

Both women turned around when the door's of the business opened to reveal Linda. Polly and Caroline glanced to each other with a hidden sneer before they followed the sound of the echoing footsteps that stopped in front of the sheets mathematical addition.

"I said to Arthur while I'm in this fucking place I want something to keep my mind busy." Linda slung her coat over the chair, indicating she wasn't going to leave any time soon.

Polly asked directly. "What? You're going to take bets?"

Linda stated proudly. "I've always been able to do addition and subtraction without pen and paper, but I'll need a telephone." She sat down. "Apparently we have special clients who take bets by telephone."

Caroline folded her arms as she eyed the holy woman with amusement. "Linda. This is a betting shop."

"Look." Linda's harsh tone took both women aback. "Arthur said yes. Tommy said yes."