Chapter 3: Apathy

That night, Kelly was talking to her 5’4”, drop-dead gorgeous, long raven-haired mother. Kelly was blabbering on about how she never felt so serious about someone before in her life. Her mother had no idea who Kelly was talking about, so she assumed it was Nash.

“Mom! He’s like the bestest thing ever!” Little did she know that she would be saying that many, many times.

“Yes, honey, he is pretty grand.” Her mother was trying to get out of the conversation, unable to relate with her daughter’s obsession with a racist, homophobic lemur.

“He is like, so cute, and he…” At this point, Kelly’s mother needed to zone out in order to remain sane.

“And when he gave me chips, I just felt it was meant to be.” Little did she know her feeling was right.

Her mother was suddenly aware that this was not Nash Grier her daughter was referring to, but some boy that the teenage girl could actually be with, who was within her reach, who could potentially hurt her. She snapped out of her uninterested daze, and began to hiccup, which she did often when nervous.

“Who hic is this again, hic darling?”

“Why, silly mother,” Kelly said with an unusual air of importance, “it’s only Mark.”

“Who hic is Mark?”

It was in that moment that Kelly realized that she had been ignored by her mother for countless minutes. “Mom!” she exclaimed, annoyed by this ignoring, “Mark is the wonderful person I have been talking about for the past twenty minutes!”

“Sorry hic darling.” Kelly’s mother said, sad about the twenty minutes she would never get back.

“Ugh, mom, why do I even talk to you when you don’t pay attention?”

“hic I hic don’t know.”

Kelly stormed out of her room, marching into the hallway, realizing that she wanted to be in her room. She then marched back in and sat indignantly on the floor.

“I guess hic that I hic give good hic advice,” said Kelly’s mother, hiccupping at an unhealthily fast rate.

“What should I do about Mark?”

“You should hic get to know hic him better.” Kelly’s mother was not a fan of her daughter being smitten with a boy she hardly knew.

“But Mom!” Kelly exclaimed, still seated indignantly on the floor, “Why do I need to get to know someone when they’re hot?”

Kelly’s mother took a moment to question everything she had ever thought.

“Honestly, darling, hic I don’t know.”

MEANWHILE, IN MARK’S HOUSE

Mark sat in his room, thinking about Kelly. His dad walked in. “Hi, Dad,” Mark said.

“Hi there, son. How was your day?”

“Fine.”

“Good.”

With that, Mark’s dad walked out of the room, unambiguously demonstrating stereotypical apathy that male humans have towards the feelings of others.

Mark returned to his thoughts of Kelly.

Author’s Note

So these chapters may seem short, but I will try to put multiple out in a short period of time. Would you guys rather me keep writing short chapters but having a lot or have longer chapters? Keep reading and voting! You guys are the best :).