Two Losses in One Night

Start from the beginning

           "It's a girl," He announced

           The news took a minute to set in, but as the little girl's gaze turned toward me, my grin grew wider. I'm finally a big brother! I almost fell off the stairs as I watched Daddy bring the little baby to Mommy. My grin wavered, however, as I caught sight of Mommy. Her smile was weak, wavering every moment that time passed by. The worst was the tears that slowly streamed down her cheeks and the depleted color in her - once lively - orbs.Beneath a dream (where Mommy's exhaustion caused the faded light), I knew something was wrong. 

             "She's beautiful," Mommy whispered, hardly louder than a simple breath. 

             Daddy smiled and delivered a chaste kiss to my baby sister's head; "Our Emily Jane." 

            Mommy's eyes connected with mine, and I lowered back to the stairs with a sheepish grin. Like always, she sent me a welcoming smile and beckoned me down with a slow wave. I hadn't hesitated when I rushed down the stairs and jumped over steps. I yelped as I almost sent myself to a tumble near the bottom. I skipped until I was next to Daddy to peer at Emily. She was so small - barely big enough to take up Daddy's entire arm as he held her to his chest. A little wisp of brown hair laid on her head, and her hazel eyes sparkled as she looked back at Mommy. I grin at the similarities she held to Mommy, even as young as a few minutes. She was going to grow into a beautiful girl, and it was my job to protect her from the boys.

 She was going to grow into a beautiful girl, and it was my job to protect her from the boys

              Daddy suddenly thrusted Emily into my arms. 

              "Seraphina!" He cried, shaking Mommy's shoulder. 

              "What's wrong?" I asked as I brought Emily closer to my chest - just like Daddy had done. It was awkward; even with her small size as she was almost diagonal in my grasp. 

             Daddy never answered, he just called Mommy's name in a desperate yell. Mommy didn't respond, and my gut twisted as the moments flashed by. Time was slow and it held my heart in its grasp before Daddy collapsed across the bed with a loud sob. He wrapped his arms around Mommy and brought her frozen body to his own.