Eighteen

"You look handsome," Sarah promised as she smoothed her hands over Steve's shoulders in an attempt to keep it tidy. He impatiently brushed her hand away, but gave her an embarrassed smiled regardless. 

"Mom... "

"Rather bold I thought, going with the blue -- "

Steve frowned down at his suit, mouth open as he was about to interject, when his father cut in and looked at them both in the mirror, standing behind them. 

"Remember our prom, Sarah? You were the only one bold enough to wear red everything," he said with a fond smile, and the lines of worry faded from Sarah's forehead as she smiled softly at the memory. "You look great, son."

"Thank you," he said and blew out a breath. "Okay, I'm good to go."

////

"Hey, hold still -- " Charlie grabbed his tie and held him still while Bucky struggled to pull on his suit jacket. Again, he borrowed one of Charlie's suits, but it fit surprisingly well. Charlie stuck his tongue out in concentration as he fixed his tie. 

"Gotta look good for your man -- okay," he said triumphantly. "You actually don't look like a troll, for once."

"Hey, you can't make fun of me, I'm missing an arm."

"You can't use that as an excuse every time," Charlie said, exasperated as he stepped back and shoved his shoulder. "You'll make me feel bad."

"That's kinda the point," Bucky drawled and Emma rolled her eyes at them as they made faces at each other.

"You two are the worst. Now go say goodbye to mom and dad, we're gonna be late."

Bucky did so,  but his mother stopped him. Once his siblings had turned away, chatting among themselves, Winifred placed her hands on his shoulders and looked at him kindly. "I am so proud of you, my love," she whispered and kissed his forehead. "Thank you for showing me what courage looks like."

Bucky smiled a watery smile and felt tears sting his eyes. "I should be saying that to you," he croaked and she pulled him into a hug. He held her tightly and closed his eyes, sniffling. "I love you."

"I love you too, dear."

He gently pulled away and looked at his dad. George was quietly beaming as he'd stood watching the two. "I'm proud of you, son." Simple words, and Bucky wasn't expecting anything more, so he smiled back and hugged his father as well, before he was off to the dance. 

George and Winifred smiled as the watched their kids take off, laughing and teasing each other. Their kids were all grown up now. 

////

The sky was beginning to darken as Bucky stepped onto school grounds. The outside of the school was lit up with fairy lights and he watched as the students began to file in. Since he didn't actually go to the school, he had to wait for Steve to show up to escort him in.

He twisted the ring anxiously on his finger while he waited, excited to see where the night would go. He knew where he hoped it would go, but only time would tell.

"Hey, beautiful," a voice hummed and Bucky smiled as Steve hugged him from behind. Turning in his arms, Bucky looked at him and grinned.

"You look handsome," he praised, resting a hand on his chest. Steve smiled bashfully and slowly took in the view of Bucky in a pale grey suit with a dark blue tie.

"You do, too," he hummed and lifted his hand, kissing it gently. Bucky turned pink and looked away, and Steve couldn't help but smile as he watched him. "Ready to head in?"