Sixteen

His roughly sketched out map would have to be good enough for his purposes.

Steve stood from his desk and stretched, folding the map and checking the clock. Lunch was almost over -- tucked away in his class, he'd let Carol lead the team as he stayed inside to jot out his "scavenger map".

"Let's see," Riley commented as he looked over his shoulder. After a moment of silence, he nodded and offered a shy grin. "Looks great, Rogers. I'm sure he'll love it."

"Thanks," he said with a small smile as he tucked the map into his backpack. The bell rang and Riley headed out, flashing another reassuring grin before leaving.

He hoped it would be enough. Biting his lip as he thought, he headed to History and tried to keep in his head everything that had been going on, and why this hunt had to work.

////

"Tony?" Bucky opened the door wider and raised his eyebrows. "What're you..?"

"Cap told us about what happened." His eyes drifted to his arm. Bucky sub-consciously pulled it closer to his body, felt that nausea settle in his stomach. Tony looked up again, looked determined. "Listen, I'm not gonna bore you with pity."

"What's that?" He turned his attention to the silver briefcase in his hand. The teen in front of him looked like a professional businessman. Tony grinned in response and cocked his head to the side.

"Think of it as a gift," he explained.

Half an hour later, after recalibrating it and adjusting every little thing to suit him, Bucky was sitting there with  a robotic arm -- nothing too extravagant looking, but still nicer than anything he'd seen before.

He stared in wonder as he moved his fingers, then looked up at Tony, speechless.

"Dad flew me out to deliver it," he explained and adjusted his sunglasses to sit on top of his hair. "Steve told me what happened, and I told dear old dad -- he's an inventor, or sorts, so he thought up this idea and I helped him tinker on it. Quite the project," he commented and admired his handiwork.

"Tony, this is -- " He looked between the arm and Tony, back and forth as his mouth failed to make noise.

"Brilliant, isn't it?" He looked proud of his work, admiring the fine details he'd added. "Completely free of cost, too."

"Lemme give you something, Stark, this is -- this is too much. Let me pay you back," he replied, suddenly earnest as he stared at him. Tony looked into that face and tried to think of something, pulling a face as he did so.

"It's kind of a gift, Barnes, but -- Okay, look, you can look after the cat for the afternoon tomorrow, our sitter is busy because I'm in town, so. We're in our mansion up Rosewood Heights," he explained as he latched the briefcase and straightened up. Bucky continued to stare at the new -- at his new -- arm.

"Thank you so much, Tony," he said, words quiet and appreciative. When he smiled up at him, that was all the thanks Tony would have wanted.

"Don't mention it," he hummed. "Can't have the public hounding me anymore, Pep says my ego can't handle it." With a wink, he was out the door, and Bucky was rendered speechless once more.

Once he was over the initial shock, it was time to test it.

"C'mon... c'mon... Yes!"

He successfully buttered a piece of toast with his left hand and skillfully dropped the knife into the soapy dish water with a flourish. Grinning, he ran up the stairs and swung on the hand railing with his left. He ran circles around the house, giddy with excitement and glee.

"Stark, you're a godd*** genius," he laughed breathlessly to himself as he collapsed on the grass outside, dizzy and content.

He couldn't wait to show Steve.

////

"Guess who?"

Two hands covered his eyes -- one cold, one warm. Steve lifted his head and hid the slight grin that crossed his face as he easily recognised the voice.

"What's up, sweetheart? What's that?"

"For one of the smartest guys I know, you're awfully dumb," Bucky teased and pulled his hands away. Steve squinted in the sudden light and looked over.

There Bucky stood, bright and glowing with happiness. He was confused but pleased with the sudden change. His arm was out -- no, arms were held out as he stood as if totally exposing himself.

Steve had to take a double look. Yes, arms -- as in two of them, more than one but less than three, and his confusion sky rocketed.

"How did..?" He walked over and gently took his hand, running his fingers over the smooth metal.

"It's not permanent and I can remove it but the fact that it's an option now is incredible because I don't feel useless anymore, Steve, now I'm a cool half-robot man -- "

"Holy s***," he breathed. "Bucky, I'm so happy for you," he gushed, grinning at him.

"Tony gave it to me," he continued, still smiling. Steve felt a rush of appreciation for him and his smile grew.

"That's really nice," he hummed. "Actually, I got something for you too, although I doubt it'll be as good as this," he added, recalling the hastily folded map in his back pocket. Bucky turned a shade of pink and shook his head.

"Everybody's bein' so nice to me and I don't get it."

"Well, it's because you deserve it," he said, giving a nod to enunciate his point if Bucky tried to argue it.

Bucky could only smile. It was getting better, and he could see a bright future ahead for him and Steve. He smiled at the possibilities waiting.