Chapter 32: The Drift

*JACOB*

In between each breath I took, I would glance at my phone, hoping for a text or call. I felt the looks of concern from everyone on the tour bus. It was an anxious feeling that I certain none of them had ever felt before. Furthermore, I would never wish such a sickening feeling on anyone. I tried sleeping it off. But, every time, I burst in quiet tears. Half of me believed that Ginger had passed away. And the other half had assumed she decided to disregard my existence altogether. Either way, I was practically hanging on hopes that she'd call and urge me to her how much I loved her. I needed her to know that I loved her. Craig would come over, handing me encouraging scriptures. I'd often smile inwardly at his efforts, but yet not feeling substantially uplifted.

*DANIELLE*

I walked on the side of the road with my six inch heels in hand. Remnants of glass made cuts on my feet. I cringed in deep pain. My phone couldn't reach a signal. Muttering curse words, I swung my weave over my shoulder. The heat made my dress cling to my body uncomfortably. Reluctantly, I held my thumb up as a signal that I needed a ride. After hours of agonizing pressure on my feet, somebody pulled over and let inside his vehicle.

He was a man of older years; possessed a full on beard. A full head of hair accompanied the beard. His eyes were dark and alluring. He was the type that I would have been attracted to if I wasn't attracted to females. Thought lingered in my head for a while longer as I went deeper into the reason why I wasn't straight anymore. My last relationship with a male....was Jacob. Fuming with bitterness, I shunned him away from my thoughts. In that time I realized that the tables had been turned on me. There I was, hitching a ride with a stranger when I was supposed to be controlling his every move. One simple mistake and they had driven off without me. I picked at the cuts on my feet angrily, rethinking my life.

*GINGER*

I returned to apartment feeling cleansed. The familiar scent of vanilla and coffee welcomed me. In the background, I could hear people hailing for taxis and car horns honking in the midst of traffic. But then I heard my phone chime, notifying me of a missed call. I almost didn't pick it up. Taking a seat on the sofa, I dialed Jacob's number. I rocked impatiently as I awaited his answer. The dial tone rang once more before I heard a trembling voice.

"Hello?" He uttered.

I felt myself suck in, then I exhaled nervously, "Hey." I said.

"I guess I'll right to the truth of things. It's been hard without you, Ginger." He mumbled emphatically.

I scoffed, feeling hurt. "Your actions say otherwise. I'm tired of going through this rise and fall with you. If I call you don't even try to get back to me. This has been the first time I heard from you in a long a** time." I huffed.

It seemed as though I could sense his bodily movements. I pictured Jacob shrugging meekly, rubbing his forehead with his hand.

"Don't we rise and fall all the time, Ginger? Is that not what our relationship is all about? That's OUR love. It's not something that people see in romantic comedies. It's not a soap opera. It's real and it's ours. Does that mean anything to you?" He asked urgently.

"That's all true, Jacob. But it means nothing when I have this gut feeling that you're holding back. What is it that I don't about?"

The connection I had with him was something I loved and loathed at one time. I experienced everything heavily and wholeheartedly. So the deceit that lived in the trenches our relationship stirred me completely.

Jacob didn't say anything for a while, and it drove me insane.

"Damnit, if you don't tell me what it is that's bothering you, then this will be the last time you hear from me. I'm serious. You'll come back from this tour and you'll find all your stuff gone. I will not tolerate being lied to. I'll die of cancer with NOBODY at my funeral before I have a relationship with a liar." I asserted such with so much coldness it gave me chills.

I could still feel the pang of it all after I blurted it out. I waited for him to say something. He sighed.

"Okay. By law, I'm married. To Danielle. Before I met you, I was romantically involved with her. And she's been giving me hell ever since."

"You couldn't just tell me that?" I asked with irritation.

"It's more complicated than what you think."

I decided I didn't want to hear any more of his explanation. It all sounded ridiculous.

"If it's that complicated that you can't explain, then just stop right now before I dismiss you completely. As I observe this situation, you've left me to pursue a dream. And you've acted as though I wouldn't ever support you in this dream. You've failed to keep and touch and let me be somewhat involved in this dream of yours. And, meanwhile, you've gotten into trouble in the process. And you've tried to keep me blind to all the problems you've encountered as if I'm the clueless girlfriend who will forever stand behind you. And here I am, PRAYING that I've even crossed your mind when I know you're all I think about."

I hung up, just completely distraught and depressed. As a couple, we were falling apart at the seams. The whole conversation was just charged with tension. It didn't go as I imagined at all. I pictured heartfelt words and a meaningful "I miss you."

What thing could have possibly stitched us back together?

Like? Love? Comment below or tweet me @Its_Ambyy and tell me what you think.