Chapter 31: Turning Point

* RAY*

The fact that she could stare blankly at me with no emotion got to me. Nevertheless, I still wanted to be with her. There was an unexplainable burning in my throat. My eyes stung from tears forming in my eyes. The club incident dmabatrassed me to the fullest. Craig was so upset he wouldn't even acknowledge me. However, all of that held less importance in my mind. Riley was my first priority. I was obsessed with her. That wasn't hard for me to admit. Not anymore. Something about her changed me. I thought of her with love in my heart. Unfortunately, Riley put lust before love and everything else, for that matter. I couldn't accept the idea that Riley was incapable of loving me despite the fact that she had no desire to be committed to anyone. Deterministic views of our relationship was all I had to keep me going. Being "just friends" or "friends with benefits" was not enough for me. It would have never been sufficient. I fell extremely hard for Riley, much like how Jacob did for Ginger. Ironically, Jacob told me this feeling would come.

*JACOB*

The tour bus was hushed. I didn't really mind it, though. I felt that any words passed between individuals would only ignite fiery tempers within one another. I felt rested, thanks to Craig. I made a mental note to thank him later. I glanced and noticed Riley leave the driver's seat. The engine stopped its hum as she did so. The keys jingled as she twirled them casually in her hand. She opened the door and it slammed shut as she exited.

I felt somewhat relieved that we had left Danielle behind at the club in Vegas. Riley had taken it upon herself to steer the bus in whichever direction. She failed to tell any of us where we were headed. Right then, from what I could tell, we were at a truck stop. I decided I'd take advantage of the moment and get some fresh air. Walking casually off the bus, I saw Riley filing the tank with gas. I still felt awkward around her, not knowing what to say. I never wanted to relive that incident ever again. It was embarrassing for me too. Quite frankly, vomiting all over a bathroom floor of a night club while my close friend gets freaky in one of the stalls was not my intention.

She didn't say a word and pretended as if I wasn't there. However, I wasn't offended. I had only come out to stretch, walk around, breathe in some fresher air. But I could tell she was getting ahead of herself in her mind.

"So where are we headed?" I asked quietly.

"Just somewhere." Riley mumbled.

"I'm assuming you don't have a clue, then."

She smacked her lips and sighed, "You're correct." A slight shrugged followed.

Leaning back on the bus, I brushed back stray curls from my face. I noticed that Riley had finished filling the gas tank. Now she stared at me. I raised my eyebrow suspiciously.

"What?" I asked, waiting expectantly for an answer.

"You miss her so much and that's why you're a mess." Riley smirked. I wondered why it seemed as though she got satisfaction at all this.

I crossed my arms and shifted my weight, growing uncomfortable. " Well, you would miss her ,too, if you were me."

One would think Riley knew enough about love and heartache if she could tell that I was going crazy inside over Ginger. Although she didn't seem like the type, Riley was just as weak as any other.

"I don't have to be you to know because we were good friends some years back." she said.

"Hm. Small world, I guess."

I had had enough of small talk with Riley, so I returned to my bunk. Immediately, I picked up my phone and dialed her number. It rang and rang. Each time I felt more desperate for her to pick up. And then the answer machine came. Pressing the end button, I flung my phone down. It landed loudly on the floor. I didn't bother to retrieve it; I had no motivation to do so.

At that point, I just wanted to go back to New York and tell her everything on my mind.

EVERYTHING.

*GINGER*

I parked my convertible on the side of the road and got out. I stripped off my shoes and extra layers of clothing. The water down below called to me with its crashing waves. Each wave would fall only birth another. Sun rays beamed down to form sparkling little crystals on the rocks that bordered the water. It wasn't an ocean, nor was it a river. I wouldn't even say it was a creek. More like a reservoir. It possessed a ragged beauty reserved only for those who could really appreciate such a sight.

I moved cautiously down the rocky hill. There was a gritty mix of sand and dirt on the bottom. It was cool beneath my feet. I let my hair free from its ponytail. I felt no boundaries in this place. Things felt right. The elements of nature had come together to form perfect harmony. I meditated quietly to myself until some birds a little far off interrupted the peace. They startled me somewhat. But I regained my composure soon after.

The sun began its close as time passed, painting the sky a blend of red, orange, and yellow. The water had calmed. I knelt to my knees slowly, and bowed my head. Strands of my hair dance across my face as the wind swirled. I wrote in the ground the word "purpose."

That was what I craved for myself. Purpose. The word felt foreign in my word. I was unfamiliar with it. Just as I wrote it, the water crept closer to the shore, threatening to wash it away. However, it remained printed there. I stood up again and climbed the rocks back to my car. I got in, but I didn't start the engine. Remaining motionless, I stared out the windshield. The past few months played in my head. All the defining moments seemed amplified. I decided I would take the nearest route home and continue my time of reflection on the way.

*CRAIG*

I sat down beside Ray, I felt my jaw tense up. Uneasiness had become a natural reaction for me. He glanced at me, sighing loudly.

"Is this the part where you give me h*ll about all my mistakes?"

I shrugged. "I don't think that's necessary. I don't want to discuss all that happened. I was there, I know what happened."

Ray frowned with aggravation. "So what do you have to say?"

"Don't give me that crap, Ray. You know d*mn well I'M not the one who has talking to do."

He quiet for a moment. I cracked my knuckles, ready to smash his face in. Ray was too stubborn for his own good. Just like Riley. From that realization, I understood how they could have connected romantically.

"I just hoped she was worth my time, that's all." Ray mumbled.

"That's what I was afraid of. I wasn't concerned about her for no reason. She needs to be under watch, Riley becomes everyone else's responsibility all the time. Lord knows I don't like babysitting a 20 year old, but I'm all she's got."

He nodded. "Our parents have cut her off and kicked her out." I continued. "And when she gets a grip, she'll be ready for you."

Ray perked up at the thought.

I smiled to myself.

*ROC*

I searched frantically for them. They weren't under my pillow, not on the floor. I scanned the dresser over and over. I checked all my bags and my suitcase. The TV hummed in the background. A light bulb went off in my head and I hurried to the bathroom. Opening the cabinet, I found the pills. I popped the top open, and poured about 7 of the pills into the palm of my hand. I swallowed them all with the aid of some bottled water. After months of practice, I had become a professional. I felt faint and dizzy, a little off track. But that was the thrill of it all. I blacked on my bed, hoping I'd wake up with an adrenaline high.

SORRY FOR THE LONG WAIT. School kept me busy. But do you like? Love? Tweet me @Its_Ambyy or comment below and let me know.