Lovely Bones

The air was crisp and fresh. I gripped tightly onto Jacob's hands as we stopped in front of Lucinda's grave. I felt the wind pick up and blow the grass surrounding the stone. Sadly, there were no roses or stuffed animals. Nothing to show respect. My heart sank as I realized this. If anybody knew how great a person she was, that would definitely be me. A tear fell from my eye. Jacob held onto me for comfort.

"I know you miss her," he said. I sniffled as I tried to muster the courage to speak.

"She would have loved you," I mumbled while I put on a small smile.

I saw Jacob crouch down to the grave. His moved his hand over it gently. He bowed his head and sighed. Then those brown eyes peered back up at me in curiosity.

"What was she like?" he asked.

I tilted my head back slightly as I allowed the bittersweet memories to flood back into my mind. I chuckled remembering the wrinkly expression she would have whenever I doubted her.

"She was..wise and extremely funny in her own way," I explained.

Jacob stood up, staring into the sky. "Too bad I didn't get to know her."

He continued to stare upwards until I brought him back down to the earth by tilting his chin downward to me gently.

"You know, she told me something interesting right before she passed away," I admitted.

He turned more towards me in interest. A loving smirk crept. I felt the liveliness slowly come back as I looked at his beautiful face.

"What'd she say?," he inquired.

I held his hands as my shyness took over. Would he really make me be this emotional with him ALL THE TIME? But, he let me be weak and vulnerable and never let me down. So I guessed it was okay to be me at that point.

"She basically said that love would be the one thing that could save me."

His eyebrows furrowed together. He was a little confused, I assumed. "Save you from what?"

If he had asked me that same question earlier, I would have answered with cancer. But, I was starting to think that the real answer was ME. He would be the person to save me from me. I did myself harm when I doubted my willpower, strength, etc. Jacob made me a better person. Cancer was just another card of the hand life had dealt me. There was no SIMPLE way to respond to Jacob without him being confused, so I said:

"Love would save me from more than you and I could even comprehend. Lucinda had a way of understanding what normal people couldn't. But one thing I do understand is that I have that love she was talking about. YOU'RE THAT LOVE. You've saved me."

He grinned and hugged me. "I'm no Superman, and you're too strong to need saving."

I chuckled at his comment. "I'm only strong because I have you. Otherwise, the weight of the world is way too heavy for me to handle."

I felt him plant a kiss on my cheek. The fact that he bothered to come with me to see Lucinda's grave was more than enough. Odd enough, as a loved one left me another popped into the picture. God really DIDN'T hate me, I guess. Furthermore, I knew deep down that my sweet Lucinda was still watching over me like a true guardian angel should have.

I blew a kiss to Lucinda's resting corpse and walked off with Jacob hand in hand.

"Thanks for coming, babe" I said gratefully.

"No problem at all. In a way, I got to meet her. It's obvious she was important to you. And anyone who has value to you has value to me. I'm sure I would have loved her too," he replied.

I thought it was adorable how he spoke of Lucinda. They had their own little connection, even with one of them not physically present.

And I found it more adorable that my guardian angel had sent me my superhero. ;)

Good Chapter? Comment below or tweet me @Its_Ambyy and tell me what you think.!