38 - Where They Part

Start from the beginning

         “Crap!” I squeaked.

         The towels were surprisingly absorbent. I didn’t think I could fish them out and blow-dry them without making it suspicious how long I had been in the bathroom. Besides, God knows how long it would take to dry them off completely.

         “Whatever I plan to do,” I muttered to myself while I surveyed the disaster, “I had better get those towels out fast.”

         A few moments later, the towels were sitting in cleaner water, and I had somewhat of a plan formed. I would give the wet towels a good soak while I got dressed, and then wring them out as best as I could. Then I would march out of the washroom with the towels in hand and say with as much dignity as possible, “I dropped these in the wash. I will now go and ask for some new ones” and walk away before Beatrice could make a biting remark.

         I had fully planned on following through with that plan. But I was saved from the pitying comments that I’d anticipated, because when I opened the door, no one was there.

         A large exhale later, my smile was replaced by a gasp. Had they left me?

         I ran into the room and breathed another sigh of relief. Jacoby’s backpack was still there. But where was Beatrice’s messenger bag?

         I had almost begun to think that she had left us, and was feeling a guilty satisfaction, until I caught sight of a piece of paper, folded in half and standing on top of the TV. It read:

         Jasslyn:

         Beatrice and I are out getting something to eat. We’ll come back soon with our dinner.

         — Jacobyh

         I felt driven to read his short letter over a couple of times. Then, perhaps, I could find the second meaning of it.

         Was Jacoby, by leaving with Beatrice to get our dinner while I was in the shower, giving me the space to choose?

       No. That’s nonsense. Why would he want you to even choose? a small but firm voice in my head said. He and Beatrice—or at least he—trusts you. Jacoby wouldn’t leave you alone to escape if he thought you’d make a run for it and join the scientists.

         I allowed a deep gulp of air to enter my lungs. Many other possibilities, mostly negative, fought to be heard in my head.

         They probably went off to plan an escape route so they could ditch you when the time comes.

         They went off to speak to each other privately about how best to gag you and force you into silence. They might do it while you’re asleep.

         Oh! They’re buying sleeping pills right now, which they’ll crush into dust and sprinkle over your dinner. Then they’ll escape at night and leave you to pay for the room service food they ordered and took with them.

         They’re off on a date in a restaurant, and right now they’re holding hands and making out over candles and glasses of champagne.

         I gave my head a giant shake. Most of those thoughts could be true (even the last one), but Jacoby had written me that note, and he had decided to keep all his survival belongings here, and really. Those are good enough reasons for me.

         While I gathered the towels and slipped the extra key card into the back pocket of my jeans, I let out a weary sigh.

         Sometimes I needed to con myself into believing things just to get through the day.