Chapter Thirty- Four

Začít od začátku

"I had called the police. The large man grabbed me from behind, while the other guy took my phone and hung up on the dispatcher. He dragged me off the main road, but I struggled against them. When the second man tried to grab my legs, I kicked him in the stomach. That also loosened the grip the larger man had on me. I tried to run but the heel of my shoe had broken when I tripped and fell, so it wasn't long before they had he grabbed me again."

Officer Dennon is writing this entire time. Alex's gaze feels like it's burning a hole right through me as I talk, but I know if I look at him, I won't be able to continue.

"He pinned me against the wall, locking me into a position where I could not defend myself and then he kissed me, well... more like ground my lips against my teeth with his mouth but I'm sure you get the idea."

Officer Dennon nods as he carries on with his notes, and I see Alex's knuckles turning white as he grips the sides of the chair. Just a little more ways to go, and you can put this behind you, Cat.

"Well, he'd been drinking, and he'd been drinking beer. I'm..." I hesitate, wondering if this is even necessary to say. Officer Dennon pauses his pen and looks up at me, patiently waiting for me to continue.

I give full disclosure. "I'm pregnant with a violent food aversion to the smell of beer. When he kissed me, it caused an immediate expulsion of the contents of my stomach."

Officer Dennon grins. "So, you threw up on him?"

I respond to the officer's grin with one of my own. "Yes, and he released me immediately. My strength left me at that point and I slid down the wall and just sat there. I couldn't have run if I tried."

"My wife had an aversion to the smell of peanuts. It was a crushing blow as PB&J is a staple in my house for me and my younger son."

"Well, I know how she feels," I empathize.

"And the other man?"

"He didn't touch me after he tried to grab my legs. He stood off to the side, but when he saw his friend covered in vomit, he threw up too."

Officer Dennon laughs. "This just keeps getting better."

"That's when I saw a flash from a set of headlights. I thought it may be the police since I knew they were looking for me, but it turned out to be Alex and a friend of mine."

Officer Dennon looks over at Alex. "You know one another, then?"

"Yes," Alex says, "We're... involved."

"In a relationship?" Dennon clarifies. I see him glance at my ring-less hand and once again I feel the shame of being on my own.

"Yes, a situation occurred that caused her to leave a party we were at and I went looking for her, with the help of her friend Olivia. Turns out Olivia has an app that allowed me to track down Cat's whereabouts."

"What happened when they saw the headlights?" Officer Dennon inquires, looking back at me.

"They smashed my phone," I reply, pulling it out of my pocket and placing it on the desk, "and stole my necklace."

Alex turns to me in sudden surprise. I guess he hasn't noticed it was missing.

"Then they ran off, right about the time Alex found me."

Officer Dennon scribbles some final notes.

"Well, looks like I got all I need here. Your story totally checks out. I'm going to have someone write up a statement for you both and there will be a few more things I need you to sign so we can press charges. I assume you wish to press charges?"