• forty-three •

Start from the beginning

I would be that dark queen again. It was relieving after all.

My eyes flitted towards his neck for a moment. If I didn't know any better I would have thought he was nervous.

Was that something Asmo could be? Nervous? But it wasn't because of the party, I could tell that much in his gaze--it was how he looked at me. There was hunger there.

I used it fully to my advantage.

I picked up my dress on both sides. "Well, it fits. I don't know how you did it." And frankly, I didn't want to know. "My hair isn't silver anymore and I glamoured my ring so it wouldn't show like last time. There shouldn't be anything that will give us away. Will I fit in at your party?"

He gave a curt nod. "It will do." He stopped. "This is not a party like the ones you're used to. They are High Fae's but not the Council and not the Court. They are influential but don't hold any sway with the royal family or Council. They have influence in the Underworld but in very different ways. Stay with me. Are you ready?"

I nodded. "You sure we'll make it out of there alive?"

He chuckled again. "Trust me, Alteaza."

I wanted to smack him.

He extended his hand towards me slowly. I knew exactly what it was for. "I will specter us there."

I looked at his hand for a moment. He'd only touch me if I asked, he'd said it multiple times. Now he was asking for my permission. If I wanted him to think I was starting to trust him, I couldn't let him know I was overthinking it.

I nodded and placed my hand in his quickly, not letting either of us think about it too much. "Ready when you are."

The home we appeared outside of was glamorous. It was surprisingly modern given the architecture I had seen so far in the Underworld. Large floor to ceiling windows wrapped around the house overlooking a large pool. The textured dark stone and black walls of the two-story home complemented the sharp angles and moody lighting.

Asmo let my hand go immediately but I could sense a reluctance to do it on his part. He turned towards the walkway, extending a hand signaling the front door of the home.

I'd be stupid not to notice how handsome Asmo looked in the firelight of the torches beside us. The sharp suit he wore was immaculate, the mask he wore completely plain and black along with the suit made him look like he could blend in the shadows.

A true prince of the Underworld.

A villain.

Something I had never associated with Damien in my wildest dreams even when he was a prince when we were growing up.

I began to go up the walkway with Asmo close next to me.

How would it look to others if the prince of the Underworld was behind his date? Whoever it was? Would it be expected of Asmo to do that?

I thought back on the parties I'd attended. Everyone hung on to Asmo's every word, he always made sure to flex his title and was only second to either Damien or myself. If Mal was really there, he would be behind her, not me--some Lady Nyxia that hadn't been seen in decades, or so he'd said.

Swallowing my pride, I turned towards him and wrapped my arm around his. Immediately, he placed my hand in the crook of his elbow, placing his other hand over it. He kept his eyes forward the entire time.

I wondered if I really did look like a date and not like some woman that was manipulated into joining the party.

As soon as we passed over the threshold of the home, a beautiful, lithe woman greeted us. Her skin was green, her eyes pointed at the ends but still beautiful all the same. Her dark amber dress hung over every curve.