The Game is Afoot

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean, whatever you have to do?" the king asked. Antares cocked his head slightly.
"I mean, I will do whatever I have to do to gain your favor." he said with a slight incubus purr in his voice and a knot in his stomach. He withdrew his hands from the dogs and they went to lay by their master's feet.

"You think that would work on me? That you are capable of seducing me?" the king said with an amused look. Lethe groaned as a gleam of challenge entered Antares' electric eyes.

"As your friend, I'm advising you to let this one go, your majesty." he said. Antares smiled brilliantly at the warning. Lethe knew better from personal experience.

"Are you saying I couldn't?" he inquired. "Would you be willing to base a deal on that confidence?"

Lethe sighed heavily. "This isn't going to end well." he muttered as a matching challenge entered his king's eyes. Astra grinned.

"You really think he could?" she asked softly.

"Sweetheart, this man could seduce a Hawaiian tribe into stripping for him in sub zero weather and later be thanked for the experience." he replied just as softly.

"What kind of deal do you propose?" the king asked, ignoring Lethe.

"If I succeed, you grant permission for me to turn my Lyra into a faery so I don't have lose her to old age. She is the second mate I was granted and I'll not lose either of them."
The king paused. "Not for the support of the high seat in your war."
Antares shook his head. "An ally shouldn't be gained through those means. It isn't fair to you."

"That makes no sense. You came here seeking our aid in a war." The king pressed.

"And the worry of my mate being vulnerable takes precedence over that."

"New faery can't be hunted for any reason." the king nodded. "I see what you're doing there. If they attack her after she's a faery then we have no choice but to get involved or risk breaking high faery law."
"Your own laws." Antares confirmed.

"You play politics well for someone who doesn't often grace our halls."

"I was taught at a young age and taught well."
"By your father?"

"And my mother. Whom your court also declared illegal just for existing." Antares responded, hand coming up to touch his amulet.

"I'm sorry but what? How can someone be illegal because of what they are? That doesn't strike you as a little fucked up?" Astra said sitting up.

"First, not my call. It was law before even Gwen was queen the first time. Second, succubi are dangerous because..."
"Because their passions can overwhelm them and the strength they possess could challenge the power of the high court." Antares said with a bite, cutting off the king. "I'm well aware of why. I was stating a fact, not looking to debate the issue. My mother taught me the ways of the court. That was the question. I answered."

"Then you know such laws are not easily overturned." Gwen responded with a look at the furious king. "You know better than most as well, that you don't disrespect your king after requesting a private audience. That deal..."
"Is still unfinished." the king said with a snarl after laying a hand on his queen's arm. "When you lose, an apology is to be given."
"And if I may add something?" the queen said with a firm look at her mate. "An introduction of these mates of yours to the court."

"Rome doesn't generally come down here. It isn't healthy for him."
"Then don't lose." the king said with a sharp smile. His mate hit him on the arm lightly.

"Rest easy, beloved. I'll be fine either way. Show this king what a true incubus is capable of."

"I don't like doing this, Rome." he replied, not surprised that Romulus had reached out at his distress.
"I know. We'll fix it."