Chapter Seventy-Five: Tate to The Rescue

Start bij het begin

"Excuse me?" Tate blinks, feeling taken aback. Jordan went off the grid, into a dangerous place to save someone, and then calls him up to ask him to babysit? What the fuck?

"Are you free to babysit? For a couple of days?" Jordan repeats.

"What the hell!" Tate snaps. "Can I babysit? Can you use your brain?"

Nico arched an eyebrow. Jordan sighed on the either end of the line.

"I'm fine, Tater-Tot. Nobody died, we're all safe, we got everyone home. I just...we might not stay safe. And, well, I don't want Ron around when it's not."

Tate huffs angrily. God, sometimes he really does hate Jordan. "Fine," he snaps. "I'll be over around dinner time to pick him up. When do you want me to bring him back?"

"Three days," Jordan says. "That's it. Please."

"Good. And you owe me, dipshit," Tate said. He can hear Hordan sigh.

"I love you, Tator-Tot."

"Yeah, I love you too." Tate rolls his eyes. "And make me an extra plate or something, because I'll be there for a couple'a hours."

"Sounds fine. See you then."

"Yup."

Jordan hangs up. Nico touches his arm.

"Everything good?" The guy asks. Tate nods.

"Yeah. I'm going to Jordans for dinner. Can you drop me off?"

Nico smiles and nods. The two go back to studying.

[jordans house]

"I am not going to eat that," Five scrunched his nose up at the plate Klaus had placed in front of him with a flourish.

The other boy scoffed at his brother, and Ron snickered. Jordan was still on the phone with Tate down the hall, and Allison was chatting with Vanya on the couch. Diego (Ron still couldn't quite get over the fact that his idol was sitting right fuckin' next to him) was sitting next to Ron and laughed as well. Luther was cleaning up the mess that Klaus had made when he'd attempted to make breakfast.

"And why not?" Klaus asked, putting his hands on his hips. "It's a perfectly fine meal, you ungrateful little twat."

"Twat?" Diego arched an eyebrow. "That's new."

Klaus grabbed the towel and flicked it out at Diego, who dodged it easily. Ron's smile grew as he watched the family interact, Five picking at the mostly burned piece of toast and eggs, Diego and Klaus bickering, Luther continuously piping in. Allison and Vanya could be heard giggling, and Jordan was hardly visible as he talked to the phone.

Thoughts of what would happen when Billie showed up flitted through Ron's mind, but he did his best to ignore it as he tried his best to find the edible part of Klaus's cooking.

"So," Five pushed the plate away and laced his fingers together. "We need to discuss a course of action."

"Oh, come on," Klaus whined. "Couldn't this wait until after breakfast?"

"It really could," Allison yelled from the living room.

"Well, we could just be totally unprepared for whatever the hell Billie decides to throw at us," Five said sarcastically.

"Sounds like a plan," Klaus said with a wink. Luther looked up from the counter, where he'd been trying to scrub off some egg yolk.

"I, personally, think that we should go with Five's route."

"Oh, yeah? And I, personally, think that we should wing it," Klaus smiled at his brother.

"Hey, Ron?" Jordan has apparently finished his conversation on the phone and has walked into the kitchen with a anxious look on his face. "Can we talk?"

Ron shrugs. "Sure." He drops his fork and leaves his food, following his brother upstairs. The Hargreeves are left, bickering amongst themselves.

"So?" Ron asks, crossing his arms. "What's up?"

"You're going to stay with Tate," Jordan blurted.

"Uh, no, I'm not." Ron smiled without teeth and shook his head. "I'm staying here. Mom hasn't shown her face, and this is the best thing to happen to us. Ever."

Jordan sighed, rubbing his eyes. Ron could already feel himself getting angry again—would his brother ever listen?

"Please, Ron," Jordan said, looking down at him through his fingers. "Please go to Tate's."

"I won't," Ron stepped backwards, clenching his jaw. "You can't make me."

"Ronnie, come on—"

"I'm not Ronnie." Ron snapped. "My name is Ron."

"Right, I know, I know, I'm sorry, Ron," said Jordan, and he groaned. "Look, Ron, Mom is missing. We had a voicemail—some guy named Micheal told the police she hasn't been seen. They're going to come out here soon. Hopefully, we can hide until they leave. But we have bigger issues than that."

"What?" Ron whispered. He felt like the world had turned. Mom was missing? It's not like he'd ever really loved her, but...she couldn't be missing.

"Yeah. And, with Billie and the Commission fucking around here, it's just not safe. You—you can't be here." Jordan said. His voice cracked, and he squeezed his eyes shut. "You can't, okay?"

Ron clenched his jaw. Who cares if Mom is missing? He wasn't leaving. He wouldn't.

"No." He said. Jordan frowned. Ron felt a twinge in his heart as he saw his brothers eyes slowly start to fill with tears, but he wouldn't miss this. "I am not leaving, Jordan."

"Whatever," Jordan snapped, and his voice was like ice; despite the tears sparkling in his brown eyes, it seemed like something had snapped. "But I'd still have a bag packed."

The two stared at each other. Then, Klaus yelled for Jordan.

Ron's older brother walked downstairs without a word, and Ron turned on his heel and went into his room.

Slamming the door shut as hard as he could, he stared to pack a bag.

A/N:

wow that was exactly 1,400 words that makes me feel satisfied. 

here is the last chapter for today (unless i get bored lol) but be ready for another five or so tomorrow!!!!!! i hope you all have a wonderful day!!!!!