Chapter Thirteen: Sex, Drugs Etc. (AKA Klaus)

[jordans house—early sunday morning]

"GUYS! GUYS, you need to see this!" Five ran up the stairs as quietly as he could, the canister unopened in his hand.

"What? What is it?" Luther stood up. Diego and Allison where quick on their feet as well, with Klaus pulling Ben off the floor.

"The Commission. They sent me something."

"Is that a purple velociraptor on your forehead?" Klaus asked. Five felt his cheeks heat up at the thought of the band-aid.

"Not important. What's important is that the Commission is contacting us." He said, shaking the container.

"What does it say?" Luther asked. Five popped it open, the small paper sliding out into his open palm. He unrolled it, tongue poking out between his teeth. It read, in the thick, blocky letters of a typewriter:

Dear Number Five,

You are very stupid.
Have a good day.
~ The Handler

Then, just underneath, a butterfly was pinned.

Allison leaned over and picked it up, turning the animal over.

The wings where an iridescent blue, shimmering into purples and greens, occasionally pink. The legs and body where blacker than night; it's eyes gleamed darkly, but it was dead.

"Five? Does this mean anything to you?" Luther said, pointing to the butterfly. The boy shook his head.

"Not a thing. The Handler isn't very fond of animals in general, and she doesn't particularly favor butterflies."

"Do any of you know what kind of butterfly this is?" Ben asked. No one said anything.

"Tomorrow, first thing we do: ask Jordan to get us some butterfly books." Allison said. "For now? I think we should sleep." She leaned over and poked Fives shoulder. "Especially you."

Five rolled his eyes and slapped her hand away, going over to the window. Allison and Ben sighed, exchanged a look, and then shook their heads.

Klaus yawned ostentatiously. "Benny-boy, c'monnnnn," he threw his arms around Ben, causing the smaller boy to stumble. Ben sighed and went over to the bed they'd been sharing and lay down, Klaus already snuggled into him.

"Sometimes, I think all Klaus has is drugs, sex, etcetera; then he's just a fuckin' teddy bear," Diego mumbled. Luther scoffed as he lay down. Allison was still watching Diego, who hadn't moved.

"Diego? Going to bed?" She said.

"I have to pee. I'm gonna sneak to the bathroom."

"Be careful," Luther said. "Jordan's on edge, and for good reason."

Diego rolled his eyes and went down the stairs.

~{}~

Diego stared at himself in the mirror, brows furrowed.

God, how had he ever been so old?

Sure, he hadn't even hit thirty, but compared to now? Fucking hell, he was practically a baby!