Chapter Fifty-One: Click Those Heels, Dorothy

[griddys donut shop–thursday afternoon]

WHEN THE two finally left the bathroom, Agnes was waiting for them at a booth.

"Hey," Jordan smiled at her. "Thanks for the clothes."

"No problem, boys. Now, I've got to ask; are you sure you don't want me to call anyone? Or take you to the hospital? Fred, you looked so bad, even if you do seem peachy-keen now." Agnes said in a worried tone.

Five shook his head and smiled at Agnes as well, slipping his hand into Jordan's; Agnes followed the movement with a hawks eye. "No thank you, ma'am. I'm feeling much better, truly."

Agnes gave them a skeptical look and sighed. "If you insist."

"Thank you for all your help, ma'am," Five said, lightly pulling Jordan towards the back door. "We appreciate it very much."

"Of course, boys."

They gave her one last smile and then went into the alleyway where they'd entered only this morning.

~

Jordan smiled up at the sun. It felt nice to be out again. Not that he'd spent that much time cooped up; pretty much today and yesterday. Being a prisoner must suck ass.

"Hey," Five turned towards him. "Jordie?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad you told me," he said. "About the whole...power thing."

Jordan smiled. "I'm glad I told you. It feels nice, you know, to...to have it out there."

Five laced his fingers through Jordan's, standing on his tip-toes to brush a kiss on his nose.

"Ready to go?" Five asked, squeezing his hand.

"Yeah."

"We're gonna have to take small stops along the way, but it should only take us a maximum of three days."

Jordan shrugged. "Okay. Where to first?"

Five smiled. "A speakeasy in New York City."

"Shit, man," Jordan laughed. "Those still exist?"

Five laughed as well, not answering the question; Jordan let it go. Once they'd stopped, he scrunched his face up and focused. A ripple of air flowed over them, and a blue light illuminated the alleyway.

Five pulled him forwards; his stomach started cartwheeling, and the world twisted around them.

[golden crown speakeasy, new york city–thursday evening]

"Holy shitballs!"

Jordan's eyes flew open, his head pulsing. A girl was hovering over him. Was he laying on a bar?

What the fuck? he thought

"What the fuck?" He said.

"Hey, the crasher is alive! Tee, c'mere!" The girl shouted. Her voice grated on Jordan's skull.

Jordan sat up, the top of his head hitting the girls chin. She stumbled back, swearing like a sailor.

"Man, what the fuck?" She scowled, a little amount of blood blooming on her lip.