Chapter 39

~unedited~

Chapter 39

The shock from Dan's statement cursed through her system, temporally rendering Hazel speechless. She opened her mouth and tried to work her throat into forming words but nothing came out.

He cursed again, tightening his grip on handle bar above his head as Hazel continued her mad dash to downtown.

"Where–" Hazel stopped herself when her voice quivered, "Where is this place? Who is it?"

Dan seemed to snap out of his cursing fete in time to grunt, "Slow down for Christ's sake." He looked back at the road and pointed to a wide alley some ways ahead of them, "Take a left here."

Hazel obliged, turning the car just before the streetlight changed from green. They drove in tense silence until they cleared the busy streets. The number of persons out and about dwindled to irregular – seemingly drunk – pedestrians until Dan told her to stop. Hazel parked in a spot she was sure was illegal then cut the engine, her eyes anxiously searching their surroundings.

"Where are we?"

Dan turned to her, his expression grave as he took off his seat belt and handed Hazel her phone.

"Did you call Van?" he asked, ignoring her question.

"No. He'll expect me to stay at home." She retorted, beyond angry at him for dodging her questions. She continued, cutting off whatever he was about to say, "And I won't, Not when my sister is in danger, Dan. You can call him, but please, I need to know what is going on here?"

Dan's eyes flicked between the old building across from them and back to her. He cursed again then settled his gaze on her, "It's a guy Van and I know... we, you could say we hung out together back in college."

Hazel's forehead creased, "What?"

"Let's just say he is bad news and has a habit of going after things he shouldn't."

Hazel's thoughts were bouncing off the walls but she settled on one question. "But why can't we call the police?"

"He is... well connected and has a history of getting himself out of his messes – one way or the other."

That answer only left Hazel's mind spinning. She had more questions than answers. A part of her wanted to demand answers. She needed to know what her sister had gotten herself into, and how to get her out. But the adrenaline pumping through her had her itching to burst into wherever this place was and get her sister out no matter what. Hazel glanced at the building Dan was eyeing before turning a baleful glare on Dan.

The urgency of the situation was not lost on her, but she knew that whatever Dan was not telling her was something important.

"Dan." She warned.

He sighed, grabbing her shoulder, "Please, let me deal with this. I'll go inside and get Violet."

They glared at each other for a long moment, both imploring the other to give in. Seeing that Dan would not tell her what she wanted to know, and that they were wasting time, Hazel shrugged off his hands and opened her seatbelt, bolting out of the car before Dan could vocalize his protest.

"It's not safe." Dan yelled, jumping out an coming around to her.

"I don't care!" Hazel yelled back, her temper making a late appearance, "I'm coming with you."

He cursed again, "We're wasting time."

Dan'te took long strides as he crossed the street. Hazel jolted into motion, keeping pace with him. He glanced over his shoulder and cussed before whipping out his phone.