Chapter 37

~unedited~

Chapter 37

As usual, Hazel woke up before Van goth. Instead of idling in bed until he woke, she got up and headed to the closet. Her options for something to wear were limited as she had not replaced the clothes Van had gotten rid of. After brief contemplation she took a random t-shirt out of his drawer and her favorite sweat pants then went to shower. Hazel stood under the stream of hot water and tried with all her might to settle her emotions. They were raging with energy she wished not to let loose, and she did not have to deal with another fight. So she bottled it up the only way she knew how to.

When she emerged from the bathroom she found Van freshly showered and dressed. He turned to look at her, continuing his phone call as his eyes swept over her.

"Yes, all of which I understand but I've made my decision." He nodded, still not looking away, "And I agree with you, but it's final. Either get in line or take it up with HR to transfer you to a different department."

Hazel looked away, puffing out her cheeks as she considered walking by him.

He stepped forward, pinching her cheek between his fingers. Hazel grimaced, pulling away her face and frowning at him.

"This reshuffling was bound to happen. Nothing you say now will help your case." He listened in silence, furring his brow, "I think I've given you more than enough of my time Mr. Lebron. Contact HR and talk over your options with them. Good day."

Van goth moved the phone from his ear and tapped the end-call button abruptly. He flung the phone onto the single seater by the closest door. He turned back to Hazel, ducking his head to kiss her. She turned at the last second, letting his kiss fall on her cheek. Van pulled back and searched her face. He looked resigned, as if he expected her rejection.

"China and Zash are downstairs." He murmured.

Hazel blinked, "I forgot that they were coming over."

"Do they know that we fought?"

"Do you really think I run to China every time something happens?" Hazel fired back.

Van backed away with his palms held up in surrender, "Lets not."

"I'm sorry." Hazel mumbled, sighing.

"So am I."

They stood staring at each other silently. Hazel sighed, shifting uncomfortably. "I don't want to fight."

Van eyed her wearily, "Neither do I."

"But you're not backing down." She added.

Van goth flashed a bitter smile, "Neither are you."

Sighing again, Hazel walked around him, "I'm going down."

When Van goth went downstairs he found the most important people in his life laughing. Dan was smiling bemusedly at Hazel who seemed to be mocking something he said before. China looked like she was in pain from laughing too hard. She turned away from Hazel and Dan, and leaned her head against Zash's shoulder. Zash was chuckling, clearly amused.

Van goth watched them for a moment. The scene continued to play out and, even though he was happy to see them all get along so well, he felt a sort of wistfulness. Dan'te looked up and their eyes locked. His brother stopped smiling and took a step back from everyone.

The others looked in his direction and stopped laughing too. They watched for his reaction. He smiled, "Don't stop on my account."

Van walked over to them and took a seat at the end of the breakfast nook.