Chapter 24

Please do NOT rewrite, publish or translate my stories, or anyone else's, without explicit permission.

**************

~unedited~

Chapter 24

Strawberries and Haze.

Van smiled, not bothering to open his eyes. He stretched out his arm, accurately hooking Hazel around the waist and pulling her closer so that she was pressed into his side.

"Good morning to you too." Hazel muttered on a laugh.

"Mmmh." Van managed, leaning forward and finding her neck. He pressed a kiss there and snuggled closer.

"I've been staring at your crooked nose for nearly an hour now and all you do is try to go back to sleep? Can't even brave looking at me?"

"I don't need to look to know that you are scowling to hide that beautiful grin." He muttered into her neck.

His warm breath had her squirming and giggling despite herself, "Whatever. It's almost noon. Get up, you bum."

They remained cuddled up to each other for a few more minutes, each allowing themselves a few more moments to revel in their bubble. Then Van broke the silence, saying the things he knew he needed to so that he would kick his own ass into gear.

"I'm going to call Zash and dad to tell them that I'll be in the office tomorrow." He sighed, snuggling closer, "We need to review some documents and probably talk to or bulldoze some rogue shareholders into compliance."

"You'll love every minute of it." Hazel whispered back.

Van's face spilt into a grin, "I think you're right... at least I hope you are."

"I am." She pulled away so that she could look him in the eyes, "You'll be my sexy panther back in his natural habitat."

Fingering her hair Van teased, "Sexy? You just complimented me. I like that."

"Yes," she smirked, easily falling into their old pun-banter, "Now I need to find a way to complement you by finding a job."

"You're right, the CEO's wife can't be a daydreaming artist. So it's great that you are absolutely fabulous at what you do."

"... And in severe need of a studio and a gallery – and buyers." She sighed. Hazel sat up, pulling her hair up in a bun, "I need to get things in order too."

She got out of bed, fussing around the room, arranging and rearranging things. Van watched her go around the room with mild amusement and a bucket of worry. She finally got back to the bed and all but threw Van out of it in her effort to straighten it with him still tangled in the covers.

"Stop worrying." Van laughed, righting himself.

Hazel threw him an indulgent smile, "I know. Can't help it though."

She glanced around again and took three carefully measured deep breaths, "I'm gonna' go. Can I take the car?"

Van shrugged, "Considering that I'm not supposed to be driving, yeah sure. Where are you going?"

"To see China. It's her day off."

Van stood, "I'll go make breakfast while you shower."

He got her to stand still for just long enough to drop a kiss to her forehead before she was off again, tottering about like a wound up doll.

After her shower Hazel donned the t-shirt she had chosen along with some dark jeans and a fairly new pair of converses. She pulled her hair up into a frizzy ponytail and swabbed on minimal makeup. All this she did whilst practising her speech in her head. Or aloud. She wasn't sure if she was actually talking or thinking.