Chapter 10

~unedited~

Picture of Hazel (above)

Chapter 10

Van woke up to an empty bed, but he didn't despair; for long. For the past week or so since she started sleeping in the master bed room with him Hazel had gotten up earlier than Van every day. When he confronted her about it, she had told him that she was working on paintings. He had not believed her until she showed him one of her master pieces. And even then as he started at the spot she should have been, he doubted that her explanation was the whole truth. She did smell like paint when he met her in the kitchen, but there was something lingering in her eyes that told a different story.

Nevertheless, he decided to let it go. If and when the reason for her early disappearances became a problem, they would have to cross that bridge when they got there. But for now, he was just glad to have her with him. He turned over, hugging her pillow to him and breathing deeply.

Her not being there when he woke up was only a minor inconvenience. Waking up to see an empty bed made him panic, then the newly overwhelming smell of strawberry and Hazel relaxed his impending dread. He'd lived for two years dreaming of her being there, of not being able to protect her or their unborn child, of not being able to keep her. And then he'd wake from his nightmares and find that everything he'd dreamt about was not just a horrid dream, but a reality; his reality that he had to live. And even now, reunited as they were, he couldn't stop himself from being frightened whenever he woke up and found the bed empty.

Van heard the door open behind him and Hazel's voice floated in, "Are you decent?"

He grinned into the pillow, eyes still closed, "Nope. Lil' Van and I are waiting naked for you."

She crawled up the bed and straddled his back with her legs, her hands sinking into the mattress on either side of his head, "Liar."

He laughed, "You sound disappointed."

He expected her to immediately tell him that he was wrong but instead there was no reproachful answer.

Beyond surprised, he spun around, keeping her securely straddling his body. He gazed up at her flushed face, not finding any words. Hazel ducked her head, letting her curls envelope her face. Van bit his lip, gazing at her and feeling himself becoming more and more aroused by the second.

His voice came out husky and deep, "I'd suggest you let me up if you don't wanna' act out two years of frustration."

Her face flamed brighter as she scrambled off of him, careful of her movements.

"Br-Breakfast is ready... and Zash called. He said that China wants us to go over later."

With that said, she scurried out of the room. Hazel made her way down stairs, her hand resting over her pounding heart. She couldn't believe that she actual wanted that. She wanted that!? For all her adult life she had only had sex twice. One of those times was practically rape and left her feeling dirty and unwanted; and with an avid hate of men and sex. And the second time had been with Van but they both had been emotionally spent from the day's activities and drunk when it happened. And now she actually wanted that.

That?

That!

Shaking her head, she sat down on one of the stools at the bar and sipped her tea. Surely there was something wrong with her. A minute later, Hazel abandoned the tea for a glass of OJ. Her face was still hot and she felt like the sun had decided to make her body its home. The heat only intensified as Van came down stairs and sat down beside her. As he sat, his long legs brushed against hers and they both tensed. He sighed, taking up the orange juice carton and pouring himself a glass.