Chapter IX - A Promise and A Shackle

"Where is everybody?" I ask mom. The house is awfully quiet and mom is the only person sitting at the kitchen island this morning.

"I asked Luella to send Madison to school early today. She has a swim meet," answers mom.

I feel a twinge of resentment flares but only briefly. I used to be on the swim team. I used to dance too. I used to be very good at both. They were my escape- the only things that brought me a tiny taste of freedom and joy...until they weren't because mom decided that I don't need to be involved in such frivolous activities.

Mom is wearing a grey and blue zip-up sweater over a matching sports bra and yoga capris. Her dark, curly hair is in a ponytail. Her makeup is on point as always even though she's probably just going to the gym. "Have a seat, sweetheart." She gestures toward the barstool next to her. "Cora, please bring her a plate," she tells our cook and housekeeper.

Not long after, Mrs. McEwan sets a plate of waffle and a glass of orange juice in front of me.

Mom pushes a few strands of my hair that escaped my ponytail from my face while I take tiny bites out of the waffle. "How are you feeling, darling?"

"Fine," I answer her as I shove another tiny bite into my mouth. I'm feeling weak, weaker than yesterday but other than that, I'm fine.

She nods. "You'll always stay with me, won't you, darling? If someone came to take you away, you won't go with them. You'd tell them that you want to stay with me forever."

"Who's coming to take me away, mom? Who?" I drop my fork down. I heard mom said that several times in the past but she never told me who's coming to take me away or why. It had scared me when I was younger. Now I have this heavy uneasy feeling when she talks this way.

"Nobody is going to take you away from me. Your home is here, with me," she says, kissing the side of my head gently as if I was the most precious thing.

I force a smile as I get up. "I have to go now or I'll be late."

"Come straight home after school. Don't go anywhere," she says.

I give her a quick hug and leave.

*****

I'm just settling in with Hailey beside me when Ruen and Finley walk in through the door. They both look amazingly good. Ruen still has his slightly curly and overgrown dark hair sexily mussed and Finley, his shiny ice blond hair immaculately swept back with a few locks falling over his face. They're in their school uniforms but they look like they just walked out of a fashion shoot or stepped out of the page of a GQ magazine into our classroom.

I swear, the whole class hushed down when they come strolling in. Kate Chadwick's and her friends' skirt couldn't have gone up any higher. Too bad the green creature from yesterday isn't with them today.

I have to admit, I'm surprised that they're here. Since they disappeared after history class yesterday and I didn't see them loitering the hallway or anywhere near Emmet and his friends this morning, I somehow assumed that they're not going to show today.

I remember my resolution to talk to him about the green creature and about my dream last night. I don't feel so brave anymore today. It seemed to make so much sense yesterday and in the darkness of my bedroom last night but in the bright light of the morning sun, it doesn't seem to be such a good idea. Now I can see it go wrong in so many ways.

Me seeing creatures that normal people can't see? Yeah, it'll make me sound like a crazy woman. How about telling him that I dreamt about him last night...and so many nights before that? He'll think that I have a crush on him or worse, obsessed with him. It might be true since I can't keep my mind off him, he even invades my dream for goodness sake! But I don't want him to know that. He would laugh and call me crazy. He might tell others, especially Luella what a troubled person I am and it would reach my mom.