“Day ten.” He whispered to himself, before his eyes locked back into mine. “Today is day ten.”

                Evan told Mason about our deal? I wasn’t surprised, though. They were best friends. I just assumed that the deal was only between the two of us, since Evan never mentioned that he told other people. I suddenly frowned. Who else did he tell?

                “Listen, can you just tell me where Evan is?” I asked impatiently.

                Mason suddenly smacked the palm of hand to his forehead, shaking his head. “Oh my God, Evan is such a fucking coward.”

                “What do you mean?” I frowned.

                Mason snorted. “He’s obviously chickening out since it’s the last day. Come on, get in the car. I’ll bring you to his house.”

                I was hesitant to get in this stranger’s car, but I did anyways. I was desperate to see Evan, and I was willing to go inside a stranger’s car to do so.

                There was no doubt that there was an uncomfortable silence lingering in the air between Mason and I, but I was trying my best to ignore it. My mind was completely focused on Evan. I let out a deep breath of air, trying to figure out what to say to him once I saw him.

                “We’re here.” Mason announced, pulling up in front of a beige house with white shutters. I noticed that the lawn was well maintained, and there was a stone pathway that led up to the front steps of his house.

                I bit my lower lip, giving Mason a small smile. “Thanks.” I told him, as I began to get out of his car.

                Before I could close the door, Mason stopped me. “Wait, Remy.” He paused, as I stared into his brown eyes. “Don’t kill yourself, okay?”

                I clenched my jaw, feeling myself go numb. “What?”

                Mason sucked in a deep breath of air, shaking his head. “Just don’t do anything you’ll regret.”

                I watched as Mason’s red Porsche disappeared down the street, before making a sharp turn to the right. I sighed, staring up at the house that I stood in front of. I slowly made my way towards the French doors, before ringing the doorbell.

                A waited a few moments before the doors opened, revealing a woman that had the same identical emerald green eyes as Evan. She had soft dark hair that reached just past her shoulders, and pale, ivory skin.

                “Is Evan here?” I asked, peering over her shoulder. I first noticed that polished marble floors, then the grand spiral staircase.

                The woman gave me a gentle smile, letting me inside her house. I began to take off my shoes that looked muddy and dirty compared to her polished white floors. She stopped me, shaking her head with a light laugh. “Oh, that’s not necessary, honey.”

                My cheeks turned bright red, as I nodded. “I’m Evan’s mother, but you can call me Aspen.” She smiled gently.

                “I’m Remy.” I said shyly.

                “Are you one of Evan’s friends?” she asked.

                I nodded. “We go to the same school together.”