Chapter 36: Insanity - Axton

December 1st, 1987

As far as a phone call with Benny went, his daughter sat on a bench and rubbed her baby bump, murmuring a David Bowie song.

She decided to go out to the record store and buy a bunch of vintage things.

We had bought a house together and put an entire arcade in our basement. Of course, we also had an entire garage set up for her to paint in.

It was in the middle of a field, completely isolated from everyone.

We wanted to live in pure privacy, which was reasonable. It was close enough to the studio, so it worked well enough for us.

He told me shortly before I went in for an interview with some radio program with Jeremy. And all I knew was that he was part of Vietnam, or something like that. But, Carol was a hippie.

"How are you guys doing today?" the young interviewer, Sara, asked me.

"We're doing great, yeah," I answered.

"So, tell me about your more personal lives. I know, Jeremy, your parents are already famous, but, Axton..."

"Quite the opposite. I was born to teen parents and it appears I'm going down the same path," I left. "They're great parents."

"That's right, you're expecting a baby any day now."

"Yeah, real soon," I said. "This month."

"Congratulations. Any thoughts on if you'll have anymore?"

"Neither of us can legally drink, so I think we'll wait until we can to start doing that again. Maybe when there's more time on my hands."

"The success you've had is insane. The numbers just skyrocket. Your sales are amazing. Who are some of your biggest inspirations?"

"I'd be lying if I didn't say Clapton," said Jeremy. "Obviously Hendrix and Garcia. Maybe... hmm. Maybe Hammett is up there, he's rather impressive. Obviously Keith Richards and so many more."

"Axton?"

"Good question. Maybe... maybe John Paul Jones. There was a band called The Runaways, and their bassist was named Jackie Fox, she's quite good. Paul McCartney, Phil Lynott, Cliff Burton. There's so many good ones."

"What makes your band unique?"

"We're stupid," I answered.

"We're very diverse musically," Jeremy explained. "We branch out a lot."

"And, we're stupid."

She laughed. "Who in the band is single?"

"I'm not," I answered. "Definitely not."

"I am. Scott... sort of. Nic is married. And Cedric is cooking up something."

"You're the only one who is for certain."

"So the ladies need to go for Jeremy?" she laughed. "What's your type?"

"Laid back, chill. I like funny girls."

"A lot of guys don't like funny girls."

"Yeah, I've heard it makes some guys insecure. I don't care if you're funnier than I am, honestly. It's healthy to have a good laugh with your partner. So, laid back and chill, funny. Um... I'm not very picky. You're not too bad yourself."

"That's a good thing. A wide variety of women."

"Definitely. And I can't say I haven't had a bit if a reputation of being a player."