Part One, First Step

In the distance I heard a voice, it was too quiet, I couldn't understand it. I opened my eyes slowly and closed them in the next moment. It was so bright. I opened them a second time, it hurt but calmed down soon. I heard him calling my name again, it felt familiar. I turned my head a bit, the shouting became louder. After I realized where I was I saw Chris, he was standing next to my bed.
    "Reagen! Wake up!" he whisper yelled
    "What are you doing? I have an alarm you know?" my eyes were about to close, as Chris answered.
    "We had a blackout, that's why I'm waking you." He leaned on my bed and stared at me for a second. I stared back at him, a little bit confused and still grumpy because I just woke up.
Then he stood up and said "Get up, Grandpa made breakfast." and he walked out of my room. I let myself fall back on my mattress and sighed, I didn't want to get up. After groaning as long as I could to prevent getting out of my warm bed, I stod up, setting my first foot on the floor- Although Summer was coming it was stone cold. I was really tired and uncomfortable but Grandpa would nag at me for coming down so late.

I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face, before I walked downstairs in the kitchen. The stairs creaked at every step I made on it. In the kitchen stood grandpa, drinking a glass milk. Chris was sitting on the stool at the counter, eating his breakfast, while watching news on our mini TV that stood next to grandpa. I grabbed the plate and joined my brother.
"Other corpses were found near the forest. Police officers assume it had been animals, but they are still investigating the case. Later more about it-", I didn't look at the screen but I heard it and it caught my attention.
    "I bet some of those crazy cult dudes run around again." said Chris as he munched his food and looked up. I started to think about it, although I didn't really care what exactly happened. It already happened and there is no chance to change. Chris on the other hand had already witnessed this kind of stuff, he's a lot tougher than just his buff and beefy looks. He likes to eat more than he likes to train with his team mates, but runs as if there's no tomorrow.
    "Stop blabbering and get ready." grandpa muttered while washing the dishes.
    "Yes sir." we said concurrently, stood up, brought our dishes to him and walked upstairs, closing the doors behind us. I took out of my closet what wouldn't look the worst on me and put it on. By coincidence I grabbed one of Chris' large shirts, it was an old hockey jersey he wore when he was a bit younger than me, it was cozy.
    "Rae, get down here!" Chris shouted from downstairs.
    "I get it!" was my response as I rushed down the stairs. I almost tripped and heard him laughing. On my way to the front door, I hit him on the head and we left the house.

We were already near my school as Chris looked at me.
    "Rae, what the hell I searched this Jersey for years." He said and I shrugged.
    "I doesn't fit you anymore anyways." He pinched my arm and I hit him at his shoulder. We were interrupted by Johanna, she shouted my Name and ran into us from behind.
    "Hey Johanna" she bent down, gasping for air. Her blonde hair was all messy and pointed in all directions.
    "What happened to your hair?" I asked and she looked up at me.
    "I ran all the way! I missed the bus." while she still panted, I saw something behind her, it was far away, near the trees in the park. I couldn't see it clearly, I don't know how to even describe it, but there still was something. I looked closer, it seemed to be something big, something black grew out of it.
    "Reagen" I looked at Johanna, she stood up and walked past me.
    "Come on, or we'll be late!" I nodded and followed her.
    "See you at home." I waved Chris as he walked away, on his way to University. I looked back at where I saw this thing, but it was gone. I must have imagined it.

In class I thought I heard someone say my Name. Quiet and it sounded like it was a girl's voice, I didn't recognize it, it sounded like an echo.
    "Hm?"I looked to my left, there was no one standing. Johanna gave me a questioned look. I shook my head and she turned back to Kathy. That was odd, I thought someone was talking to me.

As the last bell rang and everyone jumped up. Packing my things, I looked out of the window. There was something on a tree. No, someone. My head began hurt.

    "Reagen!" I turned, but again, no one was around. Whatever had been in the trees was gone.
    "Calm down, calm down" I whispered to myself, and breathed in and out.
    "Just go home and sleep. Everything will be fine" I breathed heavily and took my bag. Pained I walked home. Somehow I felt like someone has been watching me all the way. I was happy to close the door behind me as I came home and after putting my things away, I went to sleep.

    "Christopher! Reagen! Get out or it's too late!" Grandpa gave us the 'hush hush' signal and we went out. On our way to school everything was fine, but as we reached the front gate I saw the same thing at the park I did yesterday. But it couldn't have been real; it was almost as high as the trees. Suddenly I heard this high pitched note, it made my head ache. I tried to ignore it, and as I walked into the school building, it was gone. I was glad, but worried something's wrong with me.
    "Oh my god! Reagen! Have you heard?!" Johanna said excited as we both stood by the lockers.
    "You know this guy josh right, well-"I didn't listen to what she said. I felt dizzy again; her voice was so loud, it felt as would my head explode every moment. "-ha he said that-"she kept blabbering.
    "Johanna" I tried to stop her, but she continued. "-then he looked at her-" it really hurt, I never felt this huge pain before.
    "Johanna-!" but it was no use. "-Cloe said he's an-" I have to stop this.
    "Shut up for gods sake!" I shouted at her, I was shocked about myself, I didn't want it to come out so harsh. Everyone was staring at us.
    "What's your problem?!" she shouted back, my heart began to race. Johanna's look changed, from surprised to angry and some sort of evil.
    "Hey what's up with you?!" this was bad.
    "Yeah! What did she do to you?!" everyone turned against me. I was surrounded by screaming shadows, I couldn't see their faces, everything was strange. It didn't feel normal, but it felt real.
    "No, I-!" I breathed heavily, all these voices, they were slamming against my head.

    "Reagen!" not again.
    "Who are you?! Shut the hell up! Get out of my head!" I was filled with fear and anger, it ate me completely.

They were still talking down on me. I placed my hands on my ears, closed my eyes, hoping it'll end. When I opened my eyes again, I was at home. Lying in my bed, I wanted to sit up, but everything hurt. In that moment grandpa came in.
    "Good morning my little drama llama." he said with sarcasm in his voice.
    "Why am I home?" he sat on the edge on the bed and put the food down.
    "I got a call that you weren't in your first class, and that your homeroom teacher found you passed out in the hallway." He not really seemed bothered or worried.
    "You have the day for yourself, I'm out. Rest today, alright? Looks like you need it. Chris comes home earlier, if you need something just call." I nod and he left the room. What was wrong with me? This never happened before.