Chapter Fifteen - Final Preparations

Back in the Earth Kingdom, things were moving fast. The troops had to set out for the kingdom in a week and there was still so much to do. Aang wasn't sure they were going to be ready in time, but there was no turning back.

"Whether or not you master firebending, you have the Avatar State. So when you are up against my father, he doesn't stand a chance." Zuko pointed out over dinner.

"Yeah, Aang, you are the Avatar, there isn't a way for you to fail." Toph said around a mouth full of food.

"I've made mistakes before though." Aang clarified as he thought about 100 years ago when he ran away, and a month ago when he had to let go of Katara. He looked up at her now and met her eyes.

"Firelord Ozai won't be any trouble Aang. Besides, if you're worried, we could always come with you instead of being with the troops." Katara offered, hoping to calm him anyway she could, but it seemed to have the opposite effect.

"No! It'll be safer for you down with the legions. I don't want you anywhere near Ozai or me when I'm in the Avatar State." Aang warned, dropping a hand to the table. He locked eyes with each of his friends - even Toph - and urged them to listen. They were silent with shock at his outburst.

"Okay, Aang. We understand." Katara said and forced a neutral expression. She wished that someone else could take on all this power and responsibility. Aang was so young in many ways, he'd only just mastered his other abilities besides fire and hasn't had any time for any thing else besides training. She wasn't even sure if he was sleeping.

The bags under his eyes told her what she needed.

"You should go to bed early tonight Aang. Get a good nights sleep. Maybe take the day off tomorrow. No training." Katara was quiet, unsure if his response, but firm, knowing what was best just not if he would listen.

"No, we have seven days until we leave and only two after that until we invade. I have to be as ready as I can be." Aang protested and shoveled another bite of steamed cabbage in his mouth.

"You won't be any more ready than you are now." Toph argued, agreeing with Katara. Aang was on edge and it wasn't going to help him.

"Zuko, you won't train with him right? You agree that he should take it easy?" Katara asked and took a bite of bread.

Zuko was quiet for a moment, blinking between Katara and Aang. "I would train until the last second."

Katara froze and flared at her food.

"See Katara, as long as Zuko will train me, that's where I'll spend my time." Aang got up and left, leaving everyone behind.

"Zuko." Katara's tone was unfriendly. "He needs a break, he isn't improving and working him to death isn't going to help."

"He is improving, and I'm not working him to death, we only train twice a day." Zuko clarified, hoping she could see that she was being dramatic.

"He isn't like you. He isn't fueled by his anger for the Firelord and he won't succeed like that, we talked about this, the pressure he is under is only going to hurt him." Katara lashed out and stood, stomping away.

"That was rough." Toph commented, licking her fingers.

"What was that?" Zuko asked, dumbfounded. "Why is she upset?"

"Well, if I had to guess, it'd be because you didn't agree with her." Toph shrugged, "But it might be something more- she pulled out some heavy artillery for that argument."

"We were arguing?" Zuko sighed. "But we only had a difference of opinions, I still don't understand why she is mad."

"Hey, me either." Toph put her hands up, "She's your girlfriend, not mine."

"We aren't- ugh." Zuko groaned and walked out of the restaurant to find Katara.

"All alone again." Toph grumbled. "I miss Sokka."

There was a sharp knock at her bedroom door and she rolled over. "Who is it?"

"Zuko. I wanted to talk."

Katara sighed and grabbed a pillow. She covered her face quickly and screamed. After a moment she dropped it and turned back to the door.

"Come in." She sat up and crossed her legs on her bed as she watched him.

He slipped in and shut the door quietly behind him. He stood awkwardly for a few moments, looking anywhere but her. She watched and slowly, guilt flared in her stomach. She was being unreasonable and shutting him out. She knew that. But it was so much easier to do that than to talk about things. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Zuko, I'm sorry." She fiddled with her fingers. "We haven't talked much since that night two days ago and I am beginning to feel like you don't feel how I do about you."

"Just because I haven't talked to you that much?" Zuko asked, scoffing. "Katara if you haven't noticed we are all under a lot of pressure because of a war. I'm sorry I haven't had time to talk to you." Zuko was suddenly angry and he knew he shouldn't have been. But all he could think about was how his father might be dead in a week and he wasn't sure why he cared so much because he hasn't even seen his father in three years.

Katara blinked up at him and forced her tears back. "You're right, I'm selfish and - and a stupid teenager and I need to focus." She kept her voice hard. "So get out."

Zuko frowned and crossed his arms at her.

"Get out, Zuko." She stood and her glare intensified.

He stood his ground. "Katara, I didn't mean it like that."

Katara's hand shot out and she pulled water from a pouch, forming ice picks on her fingers. She screamed, "I know exactly what you meant. Now get out!"

There was a knock at her door and she growled. "Who is it!"

Aang opened the door without answering and surveyed the situation. "Zuko. We better go. Katara needs some time alone."

Zuko sighed, dropping his arms and marched out of the room. Aang hesitated, a worried gaze still on Katara. "Go Aang." She said and whipped her water away before rolling back into bed.

"Leave me alone."