Chapter Eleven - Dad

"You have to come with." Sokka urged his sister from across the room. The group was at the house, which they were starting to refer to as the Corner because of its placement at the end of a street. Even Zuko sat cross legged by Toph, both silently watching.... more or less.

"I'll see him when you get back." She huffed firmly. "I don't need to go, you and Aang got it covered."

"Katara... he's your dad." Aang urged. "There won't be much time once he gets here. We have to prepare the troops and the rest of the armies for the adjustment of size... and we have less and less time every day."

Katara seemed to harden at the thought. Her arms pressing into herself as she tried to remain in control. She knew Aang was right, but she was still so angry.

"Aang, what about our training? How long is it going to take to find their dad?" Zuko asked, concerned with how much the Avatar still had to learn.

"No more than three days." Sokka clarified, "I thought Aang would be better at explaining everything- why we need them. Even if it was my idea, people are going to be more apt to listen to the Avatar over me."

"I see." Zuko nodded, it made sense. Hopefully three days wouldn't hurt them.

"Why don't we all go, no reason for any of us to stay behind." Toph suggested. Katara frowned.

"I thought you hated flying, why don't you stay behind and I'll keep you company." She said it without any kind of compassion. Annoyed that Toph was going to force her hand in this.

"I'm fine, really, that big guy Appa is really warming my heart." Toph said with a wide grin.

"So were all going." Sokka said and clapped his hands "Everyone should go get packed and meet here in the morning."

Katara stayed seated, not wanting to go pack yet- or at all. When everyone was in their rooms, Zuko hesitated at the door.

"Katara?" He said her name with concern, gaining her attention. "You shouldn't hate him forever. Especially because of how forgiving I know you can be."

Katara froze for a moment. Reluctantly she nodded. "I know, but..." she trailed off and sighed. "Are you going to go pack?"

The change in subject caught him off guard but he nodded, "Um, yeah, why?"

"Would it be okay if I tagged along, I'll do my packing later, I swear, but..." she paused, a blush rising, making her ears red. "I'd like to keep talking to you."

Before he could stop it, he smiled at her, "Of course." He turned to open the door as she got up to follow him.

"Where do you live, it hadn't occurred to me before that none of us have been to your place."  Katara walked next to him, fiddling with her fingers.

"A few blocks away, not too far, but closer to the capital building than you guys." Zuko clarified.

"Do you live with your uncle?"

"Yeah, I can't imagine any other way, honestly. Don't get me wrong, it'd be nice to live with you too, but Iroh is all I've known for so long. He's like crutch." Zuko admitted and Katara blinked rapidly. She was stuck on him saying it'd be nice to live with her- not anyone else. She brushed it off, trying not to put too much into it.

"I understand." She said, trying to keep her voice neutral. But her smile was harder to hide.

They were quiet for a while, about a block away from his place he spoke up.

"Why are you so mad at your dad?" He was quiet, worried that she would get upset at the question. But she had said that she wanted to talk.

Katara was quiet for a few moments and then she started, "He left us. After our mom died. He left to go fight and we were alone. We had Gram Gram but it wasn't the same. I needed him. We both did." She paused, frowning at the ground as they walked the last few feet to Zuko's door. "Did you know that Sokka was oldest boy in our village. After all the men left, it was just him. He took that responsibility on so young. Which is why he's so protective. He doesn't know any other way. He needed our father most of all and he's not even upset about it. He's too willing to let our dad get away with abandoning us. Sokka deserves better than that. He deserves an apology." Katara was angry again. Her eyes glaring holes in the floor as she sat.

"It sounds like you need one as well." Zuko said. Katara looked up to see him in a little kitchen, pouring water into a kettle. She looked around the house for the first time.

It was bright, with candles lit on every surface despite the sunlight coming through every open window. The small couch she was sitting on was a muted green that matched the rug beneath her. Small pillows circled the table a few feet away and two closed doors were on opposite sides of the room. A few pictures were hung on the walls. One was a campfire and in the bottom corner Iroh had printed his name. Another was of a cherry blossom tree, Iroh's again. And the last one that Katara had stood to look at was of the ocean. The beautiful blues faded into the shoreline and she was surprised to see Zuko's name in the bottom.

"Iroh is trying to get me to try new things." Zuko explained behind her, handing her a cup of tea. "I, um, did that one after I saw you during training a few days ago."

Kataras mouth opened, surprise welling up and immediately followed by joy. "Really? It's beautiful."

Zuko laughed and said, "I'd have to disagree but thank you." He looked away from the image and at Katara. She was smiling at him. "What?"

"I've never heard you laugh before."

"I haven't had much of a reason to before." Zuko admitted, after a small hesitation he spoke again, "My own father wasn't a good man. He prepped me for war. To become the next ruler of the Fire Nation. I often stepped out of line and was reprimanded for it."

"Your scar." Katara whispered.

"Yes. My father and I fought in an Agni Ky, I refused but he came at me with no mercy. I understand now that I was undeserving of it. That I didn't do anything wrong to get banished from my own country. Which gives me more than the right to resent my father. Iroh has been more than a miracle for me. I am grateful for him everyday of my life."

Katara took one hand from her tea and placed it on his cheek. Like she had when she'd healed his back. Her fingers once again sliding across his face. "Remember what I said about healing it? I still could." She offered, "if that is something you would want." Katara wouldn't admit it, but when she tried to picture him without the mark she could see anything. It was apart of him. She knew what his answer would be.

"A few weeks ago I would've agreed. I would've been relieved to have the mark of my dishonorment gone." He raised a hand to hers and pressed it against his face, smiling at her touch. "But I own my scar now. Not the other way around. I am proud of it."

Katara felt a small wave of sadness over what he has had to overcome.

"I can never have my father back. But you still can." Zuko urged, placing her hand back on her cup of tea. "Before it's too late."