His arms slipped around her hips as he helped her loosen her trousers. "Are you uncomfortable with me helping you? Embarrassed?"

She paused, her gaze wandering to the ceiling. "Sometimes. But I'm not scared like I used to be."

Pain crunched his chest, and Elon hoped she hadn't realized how tightly his hands had fisted. If he ever got ahold of those halfwits who had abused her, they would be lucky to see the light of day again.

She began to slip off her underclothes, and Elon took a step back, directing his gaze toward the curling flames. Perhaps he was wrong about tonight. Perhaps she just needed space and consolation.

Branches snapped and crackled and cloth whispered as she settled into the bed he'd made. A few seconds later, her quiet sniffles joined the raindrops.

Elon turned to join her, but the sight of her stirred something hot and dangerous within him. Right, he'd just told her to remove all of her clothes.

Comforting his wife had just become infinitely more complicated.

She had her face pressed against the sheet, shuddering with soft sobs. A wave of sympathy crashed over him, so forceful that it threatened to rend him into two. Lands, he couldn't simply let her cry herself to sleep.

Elon loosed a long sigh and called upon all the self-control he possessed before shedding his clothes. He would just ignore the waves of heat and comfort her as best he could.

His gaze landed on her once more, and he noticed a slight discoloration along her ribs. It must have happened during the fight. He cracked open the door, cupped his hands until they brimmed with rainwater, and closed it.

He dribbled the water over her skin, making her shiver. He ran his hand along her skin and felt a dull pain hit his side. It soon faded as his bruise healed. Her wound was healed. And yet his hand lingered. He couldn't conceive of a more pleasurable feeling than touching her skin. Softer than satin bedsheets or flower petals.

Just when he began to fear the temptation was too much and he began to snatch his hand away, she grabbed his wrist before flipping onto her back and pressing his calloused hand to her cold, damp cheek.

He looked into her eyes, eyes shimmering with grief and hope and love, framed by wet lashes. And he was hopelessly lost.

Elon slid next to her, pulling her into his arms. Broken, yes. Beautiful, undoubtedly. And his, forever. He pressed a kiss to her hairline, but refused to let his lips roam elsewhere. A man could only take so much.

He closed his eyes, memorizing the feel of her, the slight build of her body, the swell of her chest against his, the tickle of her hair against his nose. His throat grew tight and he drew back to better see her face—a face he'd longed to see before they'd ever met.

"I used to lay awake at night, wondering if I would ever get to hold you like this. As my foresight developed, I explored all the futures you could have chosen. There were futures in which my arms were always empty, my heart always heavy. I ached with the knowledge that I might not ever get to hold you and kiss you and love you."

Carissa smiled, her lips trembling slightly. "But if you could have chosen a bride for yourself, surely you would have—"

Elon's lips smothered her next words and only when he sensed she would soon need air did he draw back. "I chose you, Carissa. Destiny only said that the King ought to wed a Gifted, not that he had to. And I would suffer any amount of pain or waiting all over again if it meant I could have you." He touched his forehead to hers. "And even if I couldn't, still I would have waited. You are mine, and I yours. I could have never given myself to another."

Her eyes were sparkling with tears again, but no grief lurked within her gaze this time. "I–I still struggle sometimes, you know. You've done so much for me, and yet I still struggle to understand you, to see why you allow things, to–to trust you."

"If you don't understand my actions, then understand my character. If you can't see my plan for you, then see my love for you. If you can't trust me, trust the sacrifices I've made on your behalf." And the sacrifices he would make for her.

She rested her head against his chest. "I don't want you to make sacrifices for me."

"But love is sacrifice, Carissa. And I would suffer any amount of pain on your behalf."

Her fingers danced across his chest, grazing the dusting of hair there. Despite himself, his grip on her tightened. "I can't claim to love you like you love me, Elon. But I'm trying."

"I know. And that's all I want."

"All you want?" She smirked. "What about bonding?"

A surge of heat accompanied her words. It seemed his body was in complete agreement with her. He met her gaze, hoping his face didn't appear as hot as it felt. "Bonding is a beautiful thing, but I want you to know that it's not necessary. You don't have to bond with me to love me."

"No. But I would bond with you anyhow."

"You're certain? I know you're tired, and grieving—"

"Yes, I am. But bonding is an expression of my love for you. And perhaps we're not only supposed to love others when we're happy. Perhaps the greatest love is loving someone in the midst of your own suffering and pain."

One glance at the sincerity in her eyes made his heart surge. "Carissa, if you're suffering, I don't want to ignore—"

She let out a low noise that might have been a growl. "Elon. You're not ignoring it. This is what I want, what I'm asking for." She narrowed her eyes at him. "Don't make me beg."

A grin spread across his face, one that he was helpless to prevent. "Hmmmm. Would you? I'd certainly like to see that."

She laughed—a musical sound that he'd heard far too little in the past few days. "I'm sure you would." She snuggled closer, her curves pressing against him, burning him until he was certain he'd never forget their feel. "Please, Elon?"

***

Author's Note: First of all, the chapter title is not a typo. ;) Secondly, the sneak peek is up! Thirdly, I have some news for those of you who haven't seen it elsewhere. I'll post it here:

Anyone want a chance to read the published e-book of Captive and Crowned for free?I'm assembling a group of readers who are willing to review Captive and Crowned on Amazon in exchange for a free copy of the e-book. If you're interested, you'll need an Amazon account and a FaceBook account.If this sounds like something that would interest you, send me a private message telling me a bit about yourself and why you want to join the review group. Preference will be given to long-time readers, active readers, and those with good grammar. ;) I'm capping the group off at around 100 readers, so space is limited! I look forward to hearing from you!