Lost

Author's Note: Today's a special day for me, because not only do I get to post a new chapter for my favorite readers 😉 I'm also posting one of my first booktube videos today! (Booktube is the book community on Youtube.)

***

Fire writhed inside her veins, eating away at the skin on her forearm and cheek. She moaned.

"Shhh. It's alright." A damp cloth caressed her forehead.

The air smelled familiar—with the pungent scent of spice and salve. With a herculean effort, she lifted her heavy lids. All of her relaxed at the sight of Viltus' ocean gaze, brimming with concern. "You found me."

He smiled. "Of course." He ran a finger along her unscathed cheek. "The boy who sells water came to the Tower and told me he was concerned you hadn't listened to him." A smirk curved his mouth, but a spark of anger lit his eyes. "Smart boy."

She tried to grimace, but the skin on her cheek protested, sending a flare of pain across her face. "You're probably upset."

He arched his brows. "You could say that."

She sighed. "I couldn't just let him die."

"I know."

She pushed up on her forearms, lifting her torso so she could sit up. "Where is he?"

With a light touch, Viltus pushed her back down to the cot. "Don't worry yourself so."

She stiffened. "Viltus?"

He pursed his lips. "You never fail to hurt yourself when he's involved, Carissa. He's taken care of himself for this long, and he can continue to do so."

Her eyes flared open as she glared. "Viltus."

"I've sent him back to his home."

"He's an orphan."

"He must have someone he's staying with."

"Or he could be living on the streets!"

He pursed his lips. "If I brought him here, you wouldn't have wanted him to leave, would you?"

She huffed.

"At this moment, I can't afford taking care of an extra person and neither can you."

She jutted her chin. "I'll find another job."

"Carissa... perhaps you'd best stay here." His gaze drifted to her cheek, and he flinched.

She sat up. "What? Is something wrong?"

"Don't concern yourself with anything beyond rest and healing, Carissa." He rose. "I'm going to need some more salve to tend your burns for the next few days." He dropped the rag he was using in a bowl of water on the table and pointed at her. "Stay."

If she had only heard his tone, she would've thought he was speaking to Freckles. "I won't obey you like your horse does."

He cast a beseeching gaze up to the ceiling. "If only."

As soon as the door shut behind him, she swung her legs over the edge of the cot and stood. Her vision swayed before she steadied herself. She planted her hands on the table, on either side of the basin, and peered into the water. Her stomach twisted.

Her left cheek was pink, as if the skin had been stripped away, and glistening with moisture. Blisters of thick yellow liquid flecked the skin around it. She stumbled back until she landed onto the cot.