Almost Home

Author's Note: In response to my offer to critique the first few chapters of someone's story, RedPandaWorld made these two lovely pictures.

If you'd like a critique of your first few chapters, all you have to do is post something on IG related to The King's Cursed Bride and tag me! And congrats to RedPandaWorld for being the first one to make fan art for KCB, aside from my sister

And this week's comment award goes to BookWorm2018xx! Thank you for the wonderful, sweet comment. If you guys would like to see it, you can check it out on IG.

***

If Elon had intended to comfort her, he was doing a rather pitiful job. "But the border didn't follow Akasha."

"She was only one Reaper."

Carissa whipped around to face him. "How many Reapers are required to move the border?"

"Many."

She rubbed the goose bumps from her arms. "But we killed Akasha."

Elon nodded. "Which angered the other Reapers."

Carissa drove her hands through her sweat-slicked hair. "We should have just captured her."

"No, we shouldn't have. Things are happening like they're supposed to, Carissa. Trust—"

"I'm trying to." She dropped her arms to her sides.

After a moment, he placed a hand on her shoulder, and the chill dissipated beneath his warmth. "You see why your training is so important?"

She dropped her chin to her chest. "Yes... but I can't do this alone."

He squeezed her shoulder. "You won't have to."

"I want to kill a Reaper!"

Both of them glanced down at Aleck.

Elon lowered himself beside Aleck. "Killing a Reaper takes a special sort of warrior, but there are many other forms of evil in this world. Unfortunately, should you become a warrior, you will have no shortage of enemies."