Bonus Chapter: The Beginning

Elizabeth had never wanted to live in the castle. There was a feeling of inferiority that grasped her among all the dragons. Unfortunately the castle came with Kaiden, and she could never refuse him. And by gods, she tried. She stood near a chair by the window, staring at the sea. A sigh escaped her lips as she drummed her fingers against the wooden frame. The sound echoed through her and Kaiden’s chamber, mixing with the excited murmur of the celebration outside.

The child was born. As predicted by the Keeper it had been a girl. The servants were restless, either helping Evelyn or trying to please Emile with their happy cheers. Elizabeth did not feel like celebrating. Her heart hammered in her chest, and her pulse vibrated through each finger. What had she gotten herself into? She sat down, and nibbled on her fingernails.

Elizabeth lay her hand down, and found herself tapping again. It had been hours and the orders from the King had yet to arrive. Was he dead? Or maybe he realized that he was wrong, and they had all been foolish. Doubt clouded her mind, accompanied by a strong urge to find a bowl, and vomit. Bile did not rise up, but maybe if she forced herself the nausea would stop. Kaiden’s warm fingers interlaced with hers and put an end to the drumming. He knelt beside her and rested his head on her lap. She lifted her hand and traced the features of his face, fearing that it would be the last time that she would be able to touch him.

“You worry too much,” he said, acting as if nothing of significance was happening just above their chamber. They had been married for five years and she had yet to give him a child. There was no envy within her for Evelyn. After what they plotted, she was likely to die this night. And still she felt guilty for not allowing a child to grow within her. In another life she would give Kaiden everything he wanted, and more. But to raise a child among the glimmer of a coming war. Never.

“No, I worry enough.” She sighed, and removed her fingers from his face. “I fear that you, however, do not,” she replied and shook her head. Kaiden looked up, and smiled. The blue rings under his eyes were more prominent today. 

“How can you be so calm, Kaiden?” she asked in frustration. There was barely three hours of sleep between the two of them the night before, and still he would not show concern.

“Because, nothing is certain yet, we do not even know the name of the child,” he replied, and stood up. Walking off to some corner where she could no longer see him.

Elizabeth let out a soft growl, and rubbed her eyes. “One does not take the riddles of the Dream Realm lightly. I would rather you worry and plan, than keep calm and die by your brother’s magic,” she said. There wasn’t a time that he didn’t listen to her, not unless his brother was involved. So many signs of his betrayal were clear, and Kaiden chose to look past all of them. She had to explain each and every one of his brother’s schemes to him and still he would not believe her until he fell for Emile’s trap. Emile had thought everyone in his family to be fools apart from himself, of course. Since the first day that she stepped foot in the castle she had seen through him. And he knew it.

A knock sounded on the door and Elizabeth jolted up, clasping her chest. Kaiden laughed, and walked over to the door, opening it. Gevil stood on the other side, as happy and clueless as everyone else in the castle, including Kaiden. Elizabeth wanted to shake them both.

“My lord, the King told me to inform you that Lady Evelyn’s daughter is born. They named her Aurelie, and they are taking visitors now to view the child,” he said happily, bowed, and hurried away.

Kaiden closed the door and faced Elizabeth with wide eyes. She could not move. Flashes of ice traveled through every part of her body. The certainty was a farce. All this time she hoped that for once Kaiden was right about his brother. A single name ripped it from both of them. Would it have helped if they told Elizabeth to refuse it? If what they were meant to do changed the outcome of the future, then surely they could have done so before.