31. Delilah Dranoir

Orken was the first to see her when she came running up to the inn, her hair wild behind her and her dress dirtied by the soot that came off of Kirin's cloak.

"Peacocks! What on Highfire happened to you?" he asked, eyes wide with questions.

She stormed past him, picking up her dress to climb the stairs. Shoulders collided with hers, she did not see whose, flashing past them without a word of apology.

Sasha's was at the very top of the stairs, talking to some women with wild blue curls. She looked at her and gasped.

Aurelie averted her eyes and ran to her door, slamming it shut. Thirty candles—those she had collected over the days to practice on—ignited as she turned. Closing her eyes, Aurelie leaned against the door. She couldn't get Kirin's battered face out of her head. A knot formed in her stomach. She was nauseous and tearful, unsure of what to do with herself other than to sulk.

She wanted to practice but not like this, not angry and unpredictable. She pushed herself away from the door and fell on her bed. For a moment, she lay with her face pressed into her blanket, and then rage filled her and curled her fingers into tight fists. Aurelie punched her pillow, again and again, until her wrist and her knuckles hurt.

A gentle knock sounded on her door. Why can't you people leave me alone for just one second?

"Yes?" she answered, through clenched teeth.

"Are you okay in there?" Sasha's asked.

"Yes, thank you, I'm fine," she responded, trying to keep her quivering voice even.

"Can I come in?"

"Please no," Aurelie pleaded, her voice shaking.

"Alright." Her footsteps moved away from the door.

Someone had dressed her bed in clean sheets, and already they were stained with blood—Kirin's blood—and dirt. She ruined them, just like she ruined everything. Aurelie crawled into a ball, clutched herself around her shoulders, and wept.

*

Sasha peered into Aurelie's room later that evening. "Walk with me," she said, her voice expressed pity, but her face did no such thing.

"Did something happen?" Aurelie asked, fearing more bad news. Her stomach knotted.

"I knew you when you were a little girl, did you know?" Sasha asked, tearing up a little.

It was going to be one of those walks, Aurelie thought. The ones where you are meant to share memories, cry, laugh, and hug. She didn't want to go back to any memories, it was only recently that she stopped crying over her aunt and uncle, but there was no such thing as saying no to Sasha.

"I didn't," she said and stood up to join her.

Sasha wrapped her hand around Aurelie's shoulder. "Come, I have something to show you."

She led her through the busy inn to her bedroom. People voice their greetings and nothing else, thankfully having gotten used to having a troublesome dragon amongst them now. The children still got excited by her, but she did not mind them much. They were quite easy to please.

Sasha's bedroom looked much like Aurelie's because it was furnished and decorated. There was a cupboard in the corner, the door was slightly open, and the orange light of her grandfather's rose glowed from within. A bed stood in the middle, and a side table, stacked with a pile of books. There was a large pot near the cupboard with a tomato plant growing within.

Sasha caught Aurelie's glance. "I like watching it grow. It reminds me of normality at times." She traced her finger along with one of the small yellow flowers. "It must really hate us – always trying to make everything it creates grow faster." She laughed.