"It could be a spell or it could be a madness," The secretary revealed his own assumptions with hesitance.

"My little brother is not mad," The crown Prince exploded, "Ever since that ball, that blasted girl's taken up residence in his head. She's the one driving him mad."

"Could she be a witch?" Jade asked, her gaze alternating between the two men.

"That cursed woman has to be. Falling is love is difficult, not having whom you want is doubly so but you do not go crashing into mountains, hallucinating things."

"He's not made from the soil you were carved from, Ed. Your heart is made of the gold your crown was carved from. He's different; sensitive," Elliot tried to reason with the wrathful future king.

"He's sensible that's what. Don't you forget that. He's not prone to such foolish flights of fancy," The concerned brother argued, "And what does my heart have to do with anything?"

"I am neither well versed with spell work nor mental ailments but we need to find a solution soon. He may not be so lucky next time..." The girl wondered out aloud.

"We?" Edward asked imperiously as if offended by the presumption of the upstart.

"You should include him from now on," Elliot sighed,
"Might as well announce that you've been chosen as my successor."

"Surely not because of this incident," Jade protested, feeling offended she was being given the job not for her merits but her circumstances.

"I hope you are as trustworthy as you look. I do not wish for our information to be spread out," Elliot said before breaking his speech due to a fit of coughing.

"Just because I save his life and know too much? It's not fair to the others, is it? They might be better suited. You've already tried to send me away so I know I wasn't the favourite," The brown haired girl gestured with her hands.

"Are you already terrified by the daunting task ahead of you?" The crown prince taunted from his corner.

"No, not quite. I have a stronger constitution then you think," Jade spoke, her words firm and clear, "And you needn't worry about gossip, Mister Elliot. I've told no one barring Emma what I suspect. She's been helping in the library."

Edward made a stuffy noise in his throat and took off his leather blue gloves with the most false show of concentration. He picked at his fingers delicately as he weaned the glove off.

"Don't involve her in this. This is getting dangerous. Leave this matter to the men," The dark haired man mumbled, now very quiet.

"Do not discount her strengths just because she happens to be a woman. She is acquainted with the library and is a fount of useful information," Jade was quick to defend her friend.

Edward ignored her words and faced the older secretary, "I disagree with your plan Elliot. It is too hazardous with the new developments. Stall his plans and make sure he doesn't leave the palace until we've exhausted all our options. We need to make her come back looking for him instead of him riding out to find her."

"Another ball, sire?" The elderly man caught the topic at hand fast.

"Yes, another ball," The Prince examined his neat fingernails while his brows were furrowed. It seemed he was plotting something.

"And if she doesn't make an appearance?" Jade asked, being unnecessarily glum.

"Let us not think of the worst for now," Elliot tapped his pen in his notebook, "And if the time comes it shall be you, Mr. Ward, who will need to protect him."