17. Old Acquaintances

R ★♥★ 17. A.R. ★♥★

Recap;

For the second time that day, I saw something other than the usual cold, dominant male. The frustrated and

silent torture raging within.

"What's going on?" I asked. But dammit my survival instinct was telling me to hightail it out of here because I was getting way over my head here with Max.

"My life." he spat. "That's why I don't want you in this mess. But I can't keep you out of my life because of the bond...maybe I should just shoot my self and get it over with." he groaned and I winced.

"Maybe we should pull over to the side and talk." I say watching another angry driver flip us the bird for stopping on a fast lane in the middle of the highway.

★♥★ Alphas Redemption ★♥★

Holy crap.

I starred open mouth at the huge mansion like structure we were currently pulling in to. As the ground ahead shifted open and we descended into the underground parking.

I am sooo out if my league here. Seriously. Who had an underground parking lot?! Maxwell freaking Knight that's who.

"This place is huge." I breathed breathless as I took in the range of cars in the garage.

"And safer than your home. I can't have you going back to that low security pit-"

"It's a condo Max. And I think I would have been good."

"Not good enough. Someone tried to kill you Desiree. I want you with me at all times, then I can protect you." The memory had a shiver rolling down my spine as I looked anywhere but at him.

He turned the car off as his hand settled on my lap reassuringly.

"I don't want to see you get hurt because of me. If Cole wants you then he is going to have to go through me." he stated eyes narrowed with determination.

"What do they want from you that they would take me? I didn't do anything." I said looking away from his piercing blue gaze.

"I'm a...leader of sorts for my...clan."

"Alpha." I said and his jaw flexed. "That's what he called you." I add quickly.

"Yes. What else did he say?" he asked now leaning forward.

"H-He mentioned a guy named Cole." I say and his jaw clenched shut at the name. "Who is Cole?"

"Bad news. In fact, you don't want to know." he returned back to being deep in thought, that soft crease between his eyes since we left returning. I wanted to reach forward and lightly brush it with my fingers, kissing it away. Instead I swallowed hard and held my ground.

"Max I do want to know. He sent that guy after me Max. With a gun. He had a gun and he didn't flinch to use it." I say looking down as the images of earlier flashed before me.

My hands clenched the fabric on my thighs as I bit down on my lower lip.

"Desiree I would never let Mason or any of Coles creeps cause you any harm." he vowed taking my hands.

"Yeah well Mason obviously didn't send in a permission slip to you to pull a gun out at me and tell me to strip."

"He told you to what?!" Max looked enraged. Typical male. Don't freak out when someone is shooting at your girl but go berserk when they ask her to strip.

Wait. I wasn't even his girl. He growled 'mine' all the time but he was a complete ass when I asked him for some romance.

"Sometimes I want to throw you into the sun." I grumbled Unser my breath as the image of me doing just that came to mind.