Declassified Part 35 Take a Knee

"Are you busy?" Thalia asked, approaching Andy in the kitchen.
      Andy closed the dishwasher, looking at the redhead curiously, wondering about the serious look on her face. "No."
      "Okay, good." The tiny woman smiled up at him. "Can I see your knee?"

      Andy frowned. "I guess." He answered, already regretting saying she could look at his medical file.
      "I won't hurt you." Thalia promised seriously, and Andy had to smile as she led him to the couch, amused by the idea that someone as tiny as she was could hurt him.

      He sat down and watched Thalia push the ottoman over so she could sit in front of him. "I know you don't like people touching you." Thalia said, looking sympathetic. "I know you didn't do the physiotherapy they recommended, but are you okay with me touching your knee?"

      Andy thought for a second and then nodded, pulling his shorts up on the knee that hurt.
      She asked him a few yes or no questions as she made him flex his leg various ways. It didn't hurt much when he was sitting, but he appreciated that she was trying to touch him as little as possible. 

      He watched her face as she worked, realizing it was the first time he'd really looked at her up close. Usually he was either towering over her or sitting next to her, or early on, trying to stay as far away from her as possible. Now she was just a foot or so away and she was focused on his knee so he could look at her without her noticing.

      She had a serious look on her face as she alternated touching his knee and jotting down notes, and Andy found himself frowning as he looked at her.
      "I don't like strangers touching me." Andy said after a few minutes.

      Thalia nodded as she let go of his knee. "I know. I'm sorry." She said sympathetically. "I'm trying to be really quick."
      "You're not a stranger." Andy explained. "I meant, that's why I didn't do the physio."
      "Oh, okay." She smiled. "But I'll be quick."

      Andy understood some of what she told him, and some of it was stuff he already knew, but it was easier to pay attention when he was less stressed about being touched. Thalia showed him some knee exercises he should do and explained how Lily could help him do some of them. 

      "Can I give you a shot?" Thalia asked, touching her medical kit. "Your knee is a little inflamed, and this will help."
      Andy contemplated the question before nodding. Needles were one of the few things that didn't scare him.

      "This will help with the pain right now." Thalia explained as she injected him. "But if you do the physio with Lily it should help with the problem itself." She shook her head. "I don't think it's ever going to be back to the way it was, but the physio will help. And if you need a shot for hockey or rock climbing you can always let me know." She tilted her head as she looked at him.

      "Thanks."
      Thalia smiled. "No problem. I'll show Lily what to do so she can help you."
      Andy could see her frowning as she watched him pull his pant leg down. "Can I ask you a question and you don't have to answer?"

      Andy looked at her apprehensively. "I guess."
      "Are you afraid you're going to hurt someone?" She asked gently, her eyes wide. Andy shrugged. It was stupid. He knew it. He was stupid for being afraid of hurting people, but he couldn't seem to stop those feelings of dread. "You wouldn't hurt anyone, Andy." Thalia told him, her eyes sad.

      Andy shrugged again, not able to believe her. "I did hurt you." He reminded her.
      "I fell." She pointed out. She frowned. "What would you have done if it was just the two of us and you needed to get me to the hospital?"