Until Death Do Us Part

Start from the beginning

But why? Why did Death want me? I'm not supposed to die yet. I still have a life to live, don't I?

And so the game of cat and mouse continued. I dodged Death's awaiting arms, and He lurked around every corner. But it was becoming a rather tiresome chore. In moments, after I escaped I often found myself wondering why I was even running. The unfamiliar feeling of peace kept washing over me in his presence. No longer did I feel so cold and detached. Instead, there was a feeling of comfort that overwhelmed me, almost making me cave in on multiple occasions.

I wanted that feeling back so bad. I missed it, so. I knew I couldn't run from the inevitable forever, but I could try couldn't I? I deserved a chance at a good life. One where I was not so afraid. One where I could fall, but get right back up again to prove my success. I could fail countless times all for that one moment of success. I wanted that life. Not this one.

This night was different it seems. I was on edge more than usual. The streets were dark and deserted. The air chilly with bitter droplets of rain shooting down. As if God Himself were crying; mourning with the rest of the world. Because Death took thousands every day. What a cruel man.

But tonight, as I walked along the seemingly deserted street, up ahead did not seem so deserted. I realized I was not alone. There was a small figure in the distance, standing in the middle of the road. A small teddy bear in the child's left hand. They were staring out into the road, not moving a muscle. Confusion began to fill me.

What was this child doing in the middle of the road on a night like this?

And than, there was a sound. The loud, unmistakable sound of an oncoming vehicle. My breath hitched, my steps increasing in my pace. The child did not move. Panic started to settle in my veins. Adrenaline kicking into gear as I began to see the headlights of a semi-truck appear. Than, I started running.

"Move! Stop! No! Move! Get out of the way!" But the little girl would not move. Why wouldn't she move?

The semi was getting closer. Closer. No, no! I couldn't let her get hurt. I don't know what it was. Something was pulling me towards her. There was some instinct in me, telling, screaming at me to save her.

"No!" I dove, pushing the little girl from the middle of the road. A flash blinded me, and I braced my body for the pain. But instead of pain, I felt but a dull ache. I felt my body being moved, flying through the air, but that was all. I was flying; floating on a cloud of bliss. There was a blinding light still, and I slowly peeled one of my eyes open, ready to see the damage. But instead, I saw nothing of the sort.

In front of me, was the little girl. She looked at peace with her beautiful blonde curls falling just below her shoulders. Ocean blue eyes stared back at me. Her small lips stretched into this wondrous smile of content. She looked so beautiful. She deserved to live. She would live a good life. I knew she would. But why was she in front of me? She should be...

Suddenly, the little girl started changing. Her features morphing into pale white skin, her limbs growing, her hair shrinking. The little girl was leaving me. No, no please don't leave me.

I outstretched my hand, ready to take her. To hold her. To hug her. But as soon as my hand was close enough, ice cold fingers gripped onto mine. My body went numb. Every single one of my limbs began to stiffen. I could feel the life draining from my body.

I opened my mouth, wanting to scream as loud as I could, but I caught His gaze instead. My one fatal mistake. That cost me my life.

I was sucked into His world. My life flashed before in His eyes. They were a dark abyss. Darkness. Nothing but empty sockets void of all emotion. Than, there were flashes. Fragments of a life. A little girl playing with her parents. Holding their hands as they swung around to the tune of " Ring-around-the-rosy". Memories continuously playing out. The little girl began to grow. Her smile was wider, her hair longer, her happiness radiating. Than, there was a change in her. The night it all changed played out in front of her very eyes. She tries shutting her own eyes, not willing to see the events of that fateful night all over again, but Death would not let her cave. He wouldn't let her miss a second. And so she stared, watching the night unfold in little fragmented clips. In Death's eyes, she saw herself at fourteen years old. In an old, beat down car of an older man. She saw him lean in for just a small kiss. An innocent peck that turned out to be nothing but disastrous. In mere moments, the innocence that once bestowed her young, adolescent self was stripped away from her. The man snatched it away. Took what was rightfully hers. She couldn't tell if the world was blurring around her or if she was crying. Nevertheless, the torment continued. She saw herself months later, in the bathroom hunched over the toilet. She saw tears stream from her eyes at the results. She saw herself grow larger and larger. The disappointment in her parents' eyes which cut a permanent wedge in their relationship. And than, she saw her biggest regret. In the room, pained eyes with smudged makeup. Tired bags beneath her eyes, a baby girl wrapped in her arms. The moment the couple came in with happiness swelled in their chests. She could see it. The couple would take care of her little girl in a way she never could. And than, the clips stopped. Emptiness stared back at her.

Darkness enveloped her soul, Death's arms coming to wrap her in a gentle embrace. The feeling of euphoric peace began to bubble inside of me. Comfort. The feeling I missed.

Why did I ever run from this?

Death was above me. Around me. Caging me in and for the first time, I found myself allowing it. If this was what peace felt like I never wanted it to end. I saved a life. My little girl will live on and when her time comes, I'll meet with her. She'll tell me of all the wonders and all the dreams and accomplishments she'd achieved in life. All the years of her life that she outlived in mine. She'll be happy. And her happiness is all that truly matters.

"Come my, dearest. Eternal peace awaits you."

THE END