15. You're Back

You were chatting along with the rest of the Gladers at the dining table, not really eating your lunch. 

“So, you’re going to start tomorrow?” asked Minho, sitting down beside you with a plate of pork chops. 

“Yeah, Alby said I was fast enough. I can’t wait to get started.” you replied, picking on your sandwich. 

“What about Newt?” said Minho. 

You frowned. “I know he’s not going to like this but-“

“Y/N, please tell me you didn’t.” You snapped your head up, catching sight of your boyfriend storming towards your table.

You decided to play dumb. “Did what?”

“Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about. A runner! Are you crazy?!” he shouted. The whole table went quiet and stared at you both.

You involuntarily flinched.

“Do you have any idea how bloody dangerous the maze is?! Huh?! You don’t. You’ve hardly been here at all and now you’re going to get yourself killed. I’m going to Alby and reinstating you as Gardener.” Newt turned around to leave and suddenly you realized you were going to lose your position as a Runner. You couldn’t have that.

You stood up and slammed both of your fists on the dining table. The loud thud got Newt’s attention and made everyone else cringe.

“You have no right,” You glared, your voice eerily calm, “to take away my job as a Runner.”

Newt glared back. “I have every right to do that. I’m the second-in-command and making sure the Gladers don’t have any psychotic suicidal tendencies is part of my job.”

“You mean like you did?” You regretted the words as soon as they came out of your mouth.

Newt went pale, and the Gladers looked at you in confusion.

Only you, Minho and Alby knew what happened that day. The day they found him crumpled on the ground, not dead but not alive either. You hardly knew Newt then, and everyone was told it was an accident. It was the reason he had a limp. Newt only told you the truth after you two started dating.

You just hoped the Gladers wouldn’t put two and two together.

“I’m going to be a Runner and there’s nothing you can do about it.” You said bringing back the original topic. “I’ll even shucking run into the maze if nobody listens.”

Everyone turned their heads towards Newt.

“No you’re not.” he replied authoratively. “I’m going to Alby right now, and as you’re boyfriend I think I have some right to make sure you don’t get yourself killed.”

“And what if you’re not my boyfriend?” you said.

You watched Newt’s expression change, from power to panic and fear. You didn’t like this any much as he did, but you knew you couldn’t have an over-protective boyfriend, no matter how much you loved him.

“Y/N, please-”

“Well, what if you’re not? You won’t have some ‘right’ then will you?” You placed your hands on your hips.