4. Recovery Companion Pt. 2

( Readers ) P.O.V.

*One Week Later*
I’ve finally received the ‘okay’ from Clint and Alby to start moving around, although I still don’t have the strength to do much. Getting out of bed is usually the hardest part, I seem to always stumble when I try.

 The third day of getting myself out of bed, I lost balance and almost fell. Luckily, Newt caught me at the hips to stabilize me. Ever since then, he wakes when he feels me shift in the morning and helps me up. 

He still hasn’t left me by myself. We share the bed, he helps me get where I need to go (meals, showers and such) and never makes me feel uncomfortable - always standing within range of me. During these past few days, Newt has been taking me out to walk his rounds. 

Everyone is trying to get me back up and healthy. It was working, I almost forgot what had happened to me, despite the body aches.  

There wasn’t much news on Gally besides him beginning to eat again. No one knew exactly what to do with him, a punishment. Newt wants him banished but there has yet to be a final decision. I understand the hesitation, though. He’s been here longer than me, has trust among the boys. Everyone is just confused.

While my time in the med-hut, several friends have visited. Zart, Chuck, Frypan and Minho being among a few others. Chuck was my most frequent visitor though. He always gave me updates on The Glade and many stories to tell while I just laughed at his enthusiasm. 

I thought of Chuck like a little brother, I’m years older than the talkative thirteen year old. Newt always has to force Chuck to leave or else he’d stay all night and talk.

It’s late as Newt and I lay in bed together, occasionally whispering a thought. He was only a year or two older than me but on nights like this, we seemed like kids. Kids who were stuck in this place for some reason unknown to us. We always kept space between our bodies, only joined together at our hands. Newt has nightmares a lot of times, squeezing my hand in his sleep. I never ask him what they are about, I just wake him with my palm on his cheek and quietly talk to him until we drift once more.

Spending every moment of everyday with someone makes you close, needless to say. So, when I wake up to an empty bed, my heart freezes in my chest. I sit up and find Alby sitting in the corner.

 He must notice my panic and confusion since he walks over to me. “Good morning, y/n. I’ve heard that you are doing much better, so I’ve come to see if you would like to start working small jobs until you fully recover.” I gladly accept and we walk out together, my eyes searching The Glade for any signs of the blonde haired boy. 

Alby starts me out with Frypan in the kitchen, telling me that he will switch me around as I build my strength back up. Being back in the kitchen causes my stomach to turn and my hands to shake but I try to hide it. 

I do the dishes before helping out with lunch. The Gladers come to eat, greeting me with smiles and words of relief and I realize how much I’ve missed everyone. I sit down at the corner of a table with my sandwich and Chuck soon joins me. 

We greet each other before digging in. My eyes still scan the place, searching for my missing companion. “Hey, Chuck? Have you seen Newt today?” He squints his eyes, trying to remember if he had.

“Uh, yeah. I think he was in the Map Room with Minho, he didn’t look happy today. That was early this morning, I’m not sure if he’d still be there.” Chuck shrugs and continues to eat.